Railroad Forums 

• Businesses

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#88716  by Scrap The U34CH

That "unknown" plant is always full of covered hoppers (15+at a time). It's right near the location of the famous DLnW Rockport wreck.
Forgot about this one too.

#88857  by washingtonsecondary

Cool, I learned something new today. I will have to see if I can find this place. I guess H02 switches this?

#88876  by njt4172

Myself and Washingtonsecondary will have to explore this facility next weekend!

#88961  by Scrap The U34CH

Here's an aerial pic. There are at least 24 cars viable in the plant.

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/ad ... c+NJ+07840

Once you leave this plant, heading back towards Hackettstown the first road on the right is the road where the Rockport wreck happened. If you turn down this road there is a marker on the far side of the RR crossing. Right near the Pheasant farm. There are some very cool Morris Canal remains in this area too.
Last edited by Scrap The U34CH on Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#88975  by Lackawanna484

Scrap The U34CH wrote:There are some very cool Morris Canal remains in this area too.
If you continue along the same road toward Mount Bethel and Port Murray, there are a lot of canal remains as well.

#89212  by Ken W2KB

Especially with a bit of snow on the ground that highlights the canal. I live in Lebanon Township but have a Port Murray address. Lebanon Township is served by Port Murray, Califon and Glen Gardner post offices depending on where in the township one lives, having none of its own. All three post offices were at/near railstations at one time.

#89288  by Lackawanna484

Ken W2KB wrote:Especially with a bit of snow on the ground that highlights the canal. I live in Lebanon Township but have a Port Murray address. Lebanon Township is served by Port Murray, Califon and Glen Gardner post offices depending on where in the township one lives, having none of its own. All three post offices were at/near railstations at one time.

Califon, in particular, had a lovely railroad station. Nice little town center.

Station's still there. It would be nice if a branch of NJT came down through there on old CNJ track. Maybe with service to Hoboken

#89351  by nick11a

Lackawanna484 wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:Especially with a bit of snow on the ground that highlights the canal. I live in Lebanon Township but have a Port Murray address. Lebanon Township is served by Port Murray, Califon and Glen Gardner post offices depending on where in the township one lives, having none of its own. All three post offices were at/near railstations at one time.

Califon, in particular, had a lovely railroad station. Nice little town center.

Station's still there. It would be nice if a branch of NJT came down through there on old CNJ track. Maybe with service to Hoboken
They also kept a small little section of track from the line. A ghost from the past.

#89361  by Ken W2KB

And the museum in the station has some RR related items.

#91790  by trail

The name of the place is Nova Borrils they are a plastic