Railroad Forums 

• Bushwick Branch

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#196821  by DogBert

Ah the bush... unfortunately didn't find any passed out drunks, druggies or pimps on this night to photograph but the train made it worth the trip...

#196845  by Legio X

Is that a three track main on the Bushwick Branch?

#196950  by emfinite

Spooky shots! Thanks for sharing. Never saw anyone post pictures of the Bush on here.

Joe

#196984  by Hell Gate Fan

DogBert wrote:Ah the bush... unfortunately didn't find any passed out drunks, druggies or pimps on this night to photograph but the train made it worth the trip...
Next time I'll remember to wear something warmer than a hooded sweat shirt. But it was great night , despite the cold weather :-D .

#197002  by DogBert

legio- it's just part of 'west yard' - the tracks spread out into a small 4 or 5 track yard (probably just 4 with old sidings here and there) - that new looking ballast sure does make it look like a mainline at that spot though...

I think the last time I was on that footbridge was the day after the runway..

Unique line and operation, always good to see something different.

#197019  by RRChef

I really give you credit for going up that foot bridge. Definately not one of the safest locations in the world especially at night. I hope you had some sort of "protection" if you get my drift. :wink:

#197069  by BMT

really give you credit for going up that foot bridge. Definately not one of the safest locations in the world especially at night. I hope you had some sort of "protection" if you get my drift.
Does a pack of Trojan's count? :-D

#197072  by DogBert

HAHAHA! I think you'd need one of them fdny rubber suits for protection if headin' down to the bush for that sort of action...

Growin up here in the time I did taught me at an early age to always carry a weapon, even now that it's relatively safe everywhere in this town.

#197908  by Knife-Switch

Guess where the new and improved ENG 156 made its maiden revenue run.....YUMYUMYUM.

We got quite a few double takes. The guard at Manhattan Beverage was foaming away, and if you can beleive it, a Featherstone Bakery truck actually backed up to check out the paint job.

And alas, a beautiful photo op was missed as we cleaned out the carbon in Notch 8 at the aformentioned spot.

Doubt you'll see her back down there anytime soon..........

#198136  by phantom

We ran the 156 all day on the 301. Except for the new windows and old door rattling, it performed as any other 1500. How did you feel after a night of that "dead man?" Left leg feel about 1 foot longer?

#198391  by Mr GP10

Which other engine did the 156 pair up with? Any chances of it running on the Mainline any time soon?

#198549  by jayrmli

Maybe now that The Cowboy won't be bringing up dozens of kiddies into the cab, maybe it won't shut down on the crews. :wink:

Jay

#198943  by Knife-Switch

Mr GP10 wrote:Which other engine did the 156 pair up with?
So far she went down on the Bush :wink: Solo 12/21, East out w/ 9373 & 106 12/22 and Solo again on 12/23.

At a 5 MPH crawl she struggled (at Flushing Ave and just East) but succeeded with pulling 8 WMX loads on 12/23...however the human sanders rule was in effect :P
jayrmli wrote:Maybe now that The Cowboy won't be bringing up dozens of kiddies into the cab, maybe it won't shut down on the crews.

#200568  by BMT

To the BushWhack Crew: thanks for the horse-pitality yesterday at Fresh Pond....to all you guys and all the gang here at the NYA site:

HAVE A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!

See ya'll next year! :-D
 #204853  by Knife-Switch

So the RS-90 was self -deputized as Graffitti Police this week. The CDTR noticed the smell of fresh paint down by the Frito Lay building across from BFI and asked the ENGR if he was interested in performing their civic duty.

A quick search of the debris in along the ROW found this punk curled up behind a pile of trash trying to make himself invisible. He was politely greeted by the ENGR and invited to display the contents of his paint-speckled knapsack. Could you believe there were cans of spray paint.

So 911 was called and the crew let the punk grab his bike and walk up to the intersection. Once they got past a cut of empty cars and out into the open, guess who made a bolt for it....

The only thing the CDTR found more unbelievable than how fast this guy took off w/ his bike on his shoulder was how fast the 250 lb ENGR took off after him and the flying tackle onto the ballast that followed. So as the ENGR was trying to calm the punk down the CDTR noticed him reaching towards his back pocket which brought the full weight of the CDTRS boot down on the punks wrist. That combined with the ENGR introducing his signature work-tool to him quickly took the fight out of him.

Three more calls to NYPD's 911 produced nothing, so a call was made to the MTA Hotline which was equally at a loss for our location but at least more interested in getting help to us. Finally a call was put in to a particular MTA officer who has been a friend of the freight in the past. His quick response resulted in his getting 3 felony charges, overtime for processing, and a little something extra.

So the lesson here is don't trespass, don't vandalize, and don't make our job any more difficult then it already is!!!!! :P

By the way....what was in the back pocket the punk was reaching for....a box-cutter. Silly boy thats not a knife............

Well they say there is a fine line between bravery and stupidity and I tend to agree.

But I must have seen some of the most hardcore railfans Friday night. As if it isn't crazy enough to be on the Bushwick Branch at night, these nuts were out there in the pouring rain. Alas there was no 156 to be seen as it was being used for power but no ASC on the main. Instead it was a recently overhauled 9373 and a diesel spitting long hood running only 159.
I couldn't tell if those were flashbulbs or lightning at Metropolitan Ave but we hope to see a few more photos posted so those mainline and east end jobs don't get all the glory :wink: