Railroad Forums 

• Burlington CT Question

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1014986  by photons

Folks:
The recent Shoreliner had photos of the New Hartford Branch.
I am wondering where the Burlington, CT passenger station was located.
Photos seem to indicate that it was at street level (Route 4/179?).
I cannot imagine where that was looking at the current topography.
Any help is appreciated.
Russ
Last edited by photons on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1015017  by Noel Weaver

Burlington Station was located in the general area of the intersection of routes 4 and 179 along the Farmington River. The line was abandoned back in very early 1968 so the track has been gone for a long time and Burlington Station ceased to exist many, many years before that. In 1917 there were three passenger trains each way a day stopping there but 10 years later in 1927 there was only one and it was a flag stop. One year later in 1928 there were none. It remained in the employee timeables for a little while longer but there was nothing there, no station, siding or anything else.
Noel Weaver
 #1015562  by Ridgefielder

photons wrote:A "Greenway" is in the area now, but signicantly below street level.
According to the 1906 Farmington Quadrant USGS map on historical.mytopo.com, the station was at what is now the junction of 4 and 179-- where 4 turns up the mountain toward Burlington Center and Harwinton.

Remember, a lot of the topography along the Farmington River got "rearranged" in '55. Since the former station site is also pretty much at the point where Burlington Brook flows into the Farmington River, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened here. The NH would've had no reason to restore a station that had been closed for 20+ years when they restored the flood damage.
 #1015606  by Noel Weaver

Burlington was out of the timetable long before the 1955 floods. In fact the last timetable to even show a station at Burlington was timetable no. 150 dated September 27, 1942. The next timetable no. 151 dated November 1, 1942 shows no station for Burlington. Of course we must all remember that from the 1956 Book of Rules a station was "A place on the timetable designated by name". I can assure you that by 1942 there was nohing more there than maybe a sign if even that.
Noel Weaver