Railroad Forums 

• Buffalo Southern schedule?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#69685  by nydepot

Anyone know when the Buffalo Southern runs to Gowanda (times and days of weeks)? Thanks.

Charles

#69692  by Railroaded

I've been trying to figure out this railroad for 3 years. They only seem to run when they need to run. Some days they will run 4 days in a row, then nothing for a few days. Sometimes while I'm at work I hear them blowing the whistle at the grade crossings through Hamburg between say, roughly 10AM and noon. Last summer I used to see the #2010 head into Buffalo around 5 or 6 PM and then come back an hour later or so. The most action I've seen in one day was when the Fair train was leaving. I tried to e-mail the owner to ask about coming there to see the engine house and take pictures but they don't answer back.

-B in B

#69773  by SimTrains

I'm pretty sure they run as needed. Also, I herd that the entire operation is down to only 2 people. I'll be out photographing there equipment tomarrow, right after the train show! They have the best collection if you are into Alco power :-D :-D :-D :-D
 #70079  by BSOR Patarak

You are indeed correct, the BSOR operates trains on an as needed basis. That is, if the customer needs something, the train goes. This is based on if/when cars are received at interchange, when empties need to be pulled or respotted and around the NYLE schedule.

In the past, trains were operated almost every Sunday and afternoons. This was due to the fact that all trains were operated by part-time employees. Over the past couple of years, as business trends changed and ConAgra closed, train operations were switched to all full time employees to keep everyone working. Generally, you can expect trains to operate towards the beginning of the week (Monday or Tuesday) and again towards the end (Thursday or Friday). This is to clean up for the weekend and set up all customers for the week. Again, this is all based on demand and changes frequently. Trips to Gowand depend entirely on their operating schedule and volume of freight.

As for photographing equipment. The BSOR has remained quite friendly with visitors. We do intend to try to stay this way. However, the shop facility is completely surrounded by private property. We ask that when visiting, respect those property owners and NO TRESPASSING. The Riefler Complex is a busy work area with constant truck traffic. It is better to contact the railroad before visiting.

Pat Connors
Buffalo Southern RR

#72747  by Legio X

Speaking of the Buffalo Southern, how is their former LIRR Alco C420 (I believe #221), doing? I recall some months ago it was in need of work.

Hi

#72917  by thebigham

It's operating again.

I saw it in Gowanda a couple of months ago picking up 7 cars from the NY&LE.

Chris
 #73772  by BSOR Patarak

The C420 is in service. Over the summer, it was in the shop for draft gear replacement on both ends. It will be used through out the winter with RS-18 1847. The RS-11 5010 is in for a radiator replacement and will be back in service in the spring.

Pat Connors
BSOR

#73779  by Alcoman

Pat,
Any work being done to 423 ?

#74743  by Legio X

Is RS-11 5010 a former Delaware & Hudson unit?

#74793  by O-6-O

X: It is. Former D&H 5010.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-