Railroad Forums 

• Buffalo, Cattaraugus & Jamestown on BSOR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1385852  by Otto Vondrak

Railroaded wrote:Check their facebook page.
You forgot to provide a link.
RussNelson wrote:https://www.facebook.com/BCandJScenicRailway/
Thanks, but question remains unanswered. Facebook page shows a couple of coaches being moved from Ohio to Hamburg, NY. What's the schedule? Where does it run? Is this a BSOR project or something separate? Pictures of Viscose 6 all over, are they involved? Permanent home for Viscose 6?

-otto-
 #1400965  by thebigham

They announce this 3 days before the excursion?? Grrr....

"We will be having our first revenue run. That’s right, Our First revenue run on Sunday September 18th 2016 at 11 am in Hamburg NY. The Erie-Lackawana Historical Society has chartered us and it will be open to the public. Tickets will be sold on a first come first serve basis,Track-side only this trip, because of the short notice. The Trip cost is $20.00. It will depart from the track-side location @ 4 Scott St. Hamburg NY. At 11AM and it will be a four hour rail fan trip. Upon Departure we will head north towards Buffalo and return. Light snacks, pop and water will be on sale in the snack bar car.

We are also in the process of organizing some fall trips. We will keep you posted on them as well.

Trips on the Buffalo Southern Railroad and can be run Between Buffalo NY and Eden NY. Trips are subject to track & crew availability. Anyone wishing to charter us for any occasion can,

Contact us by email [email protected] or by regular Mail,

BC&J Scenic Railway Co. INC
PO Box 292
Eden NY 14057

Please leave your contact information and we will contact you A.S.A.P, and thank you for following us on Facebook."
 #1401459  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:Two hours to go from Hamburg to Buffalo and back?
Probably allowed a little extra time to run around the train, and hopefully see action on CSX, NS, or whoever. And there's always the possibility of getting held up for a while at the diamond.
 #1401579  by Windseeker1

As an ELHS member (The excursion was part of the ELHS symposium weekend. The main presentations were Saturday in Mt. Morris) I was on board the maiden voyage. It was a great trip!

We left Hamburg and headed north to the end of the line at CP Draw. There were engines on both ends so no runaround was needed. Retraced our steps to Hamburg then headed south, stopped on the trestle over the north branch of 18 mile creek then headed back to Hamburg to detrain. The original plan called for running to Eden but the plans changed. A second run to Eden was scheduled for 4:30 that same day but I had to pass on that trip.

Total time for the trip was 3 hours. There was a running narration about the sights we were seeing and tidbits on the history of the line and the equipment we were riding on. The consist was one full coach, one coach/snack bar/souvenir car and a PC transfer caboose bookended by Alco motive power.

I heard one of the BSOR employees explain to someone else that crossing the diamond at GB near Lake Street in Blasedell was always an unknown wildcard. The train stops and waits for permission to cross; we did so quickly on both crossings but it is possible to be stranded there for quite a long time should NS need their track clear. A bus was on standby to rescue us should a long wait have materialized.

A raffle was undertaken before departure with two winners drawn. One winner won a cab ride on the outbound trip, the other for the trip back. I am guessing the raffle proceeds go to defraying the costs.

My only complaints were: Many of the coach windows didn't open and it was a warm day. Additionally, the windows were either fogged or dirty so if you were seated at a stuck window, the sightseeing wasn't as clear. Also, there were actually two narrators talking at the same time many times. That seemed to get straightened out by the end of the trip.

I am sure with more time, experience and cash inflow, it will only get better. Both the BC&J volunteers and especially the BSOR employees were friendly, accommodating and informative.

I suffered a compression fracture on one of my vertebra last week and risked pain andvthe doctors ire to take this ride. It was worth the risk to ride a piece of track I have always had such an interest in. I strongly urge everyone to take the trip and support this operation!
 #1401588  by BR&P

That was always a fun line - some decent grades, high bridges, interesting sights. I never got bored of it.

I know nothing about the group handling this particular excursion, but can guarantee that they ended the day with a hit list of things to tweak for the next time. It always takes a few times before the glitches get worked out. If the trip this week went well in general, it will likely only improve from there.

And yes, the NS diamond is a crap shoot. Sometimes you push the button and get a green pronto. Other times you might think the NS dispatcher took the afternoon off and went home early.
 #1401707  by Matt Langworthy

Here's Round #2, courtesy of https://www.facebook.com/BCandJScenicRailway/?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hello Everyone
We are happy to announce A Fall Train Excursion – Zittel’s to Water Valley with the viscose 6 Steam Engine,The trip will be approx 1 hour. Oct 1st & 2nd. Starting at 10:00 am , 12:30 pm and 3:30 pm. Online ticket sales starting Sept 22nd & paper tickets available at Zittel’s Country Market. For online Tickets please see link below. Thank you Hope to see you at Zittels Fall Festival on September 24, 2016. We will be there selling tickets.
http://zittels.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zittel's is a farm market on Southwestern Blvd.
 #1406870  by Matt Langworthy

From https://www.facebook.com/BCandJScenicRailway/?fref=ts:
Hi All
We will be running a Halloween trip from Zittels Country market to Water Valley and back October 29th & 30th. Tickets are on sale at Zittels.com Trips are approximately 1 Hour.
Children dressed in Halloween costumes will get a free small bag of popcorn on the train. Come on out and join us for some fun.
We will be running two November Trips from Hamburg To Buffalo. November 12th & 13th. They will depart Artcraft Toy Trains
4 Scott St Hamburg NY At 11am. We will arrive at Tift yard where we will switch engines for our journey back. On our return, we will continue on to water valley before returning back to Hamburg. The trip will be approximately 3-3.5 hours long. Tickets are on sale at Artcraft Toy Trains for these trips. Call 716-649-3079 or purchase tickets at the store. Ticket prices are $35.00 per person or $30.00 per person for groups of ten or more. The open air car will be available for you die hards if you choose it. Hot dogs, Bratwurst, snacks and beverages will be available in our snack bar car. Seating is limited so get your tickets early
Viscose #6 will be used for the trips this weekend, but it isn't clear whether she will be used for trips next month.