Railroad Forums 

Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#238046  by Thomas I

Can someone tell me the power (in hp or kW) the Budd Metroliner EMUs have done???

#238227  by Bill West

31 Westinghouse coaches 4x300hp ... 20 GE snack and 10 GE parlors 4x255hp
Traction motor hp is only valid at one speed, the tractive effort curves of these two motors might be very similar when compared over the whole speed range. The ratings are based on bench tests, in a real car the power supply and controls may not be able to give the motors enough current or voltage at every point up the speed curve. What matters to the customer is that the accelerating rate and top speed meets specification. The maker just chooses an economical motor and control combination that will do that.

Bill

#238292  by rdganthracite

Back when the Metroliners were debuting J. Kneiling joked in one of his Trains columns that 4 of the Metroliner MUs would make a good locomotive for Pennsy's Truc-Trains.

#238488  by Thomas I

Thanks.

Next question in the same direction:

Power (in hp or kW) and speed (in mph or km/h) of the PC E40's (former EP-5 of the New Haven).

It seems near impossible to get informations in germany about power and speed of american locos ....

I am also interested in more informations about the Silverliner EMUs...

#238868  by Bill West

The designed maximum for the EP-5 was 90mph but the NH RR track was only rated for 70mph.

Bill

#246203  by BlockLine_4111

Bill West wrote:31 Westinghouse coaches 4x300hp ... 20 GE snack and 10 GE parlors 4x255hp
Bill
How does this compare to NJDOT Arrow II & III EMUs?

#246574  by Bill West

Arrow IIs are 4x160hp. I would like to know about the IIIs myself.

Bill