Railroad Forums 

• Bucksport Branch activity & news

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1366072  by cvrr5809

There is a line of about 15 loaded AIM hoppers sitting next to River Road in Bucksport as of today. They're on the old, outside arrival track, and the tail of the cars stretches out through the South switch. It looks like two empties are still waiting to head into the complex, but they are the last on site as of now. I thought someone said PAR won't be down the branch again until Spring. I'd guess if that's the case, work will cease for a while. Otherwise, someone(PAR) is going to have to bring in some empties fairly soon.
 #1367895  by cvrr5809

Both Friday and Saturday had moves over the Bucksport Branch with NM-1. 515s+315n had the honors. They supplied a new string of empties on Friday and brought half the loads back. Yesterday, they came down light power to retrieve the rest of the loads. It's anyone's guess when the next string of loads will be filled and removed. Nice to see some Winter action, but there's something incredibly sad about watching carloads of the mill itself being taken out over the same rails that supplied it for close to a century!
 #1367987  by doublestack

cvrr5809 wrote:Both Friday and Saturday had moves over the Bucksport Branch with NM-1. 515s+315n had the honors. They supplied a new string of empties on Friday and brought half the loads back. Yesterday, they came down light power to retrieve the rest of the loads. It's anyone's guess when the next string of loads will be filled and removed. Nice to see some Winter action, but there's something incredibly sad about watching carloads of the mill itself being taken out over the same rails that supplied it for close to a century!
It's sad to see one of Maine's largest paper producing mills rolling out of town in scrap cars. Here's a clip of the train heading back to NMJ. Thanks to Hermon Train Chaser for the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHtcRI-Bv4k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1368068  by b&m 1566

doublestack wrote:
cvrr5809 wrote:Both Friday and Saturday had moves over the Bucksport Branch with NM-1. 515s+315n had the honors. They supplied a new string of empties on Friday and brought half the loads back. Yesterday, they came down light power to retrieve the rest of the loads. It's anyone's guess when the next string of loads will be filled and removed. Nice to see some Winter action, but there's something incredibly sad about watching carloads of the mill itself being taken out over the same rails that supplied it for close to a century!
It's sad to see one of Maine's largest paper producing mills rolling out of town in scrap cars. Here's a clip of the train heading back to NMJ. Thanks to Hermon Train Chaser for the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHtcRI-Bv4k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Could very well be some of the last trains on the branch as well.
 #1369610  by cvrr5809

I didn't get to see the move, but Tuesday had another NM-1 come down and pull scrap loads at Bucksport. Don't think they brought any new empties. There are still a handful of empties from the last block that came down nearly two weeks ago. With the way they're clearing things at AIM, it could be early next week when we see another move.
 #1369675  by MEC407

Video by MaineRailFanner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBpxDW1NQOo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1383943  by fromway

Article in today's BDN about possibilities for the use of the Bucksport harbor and the mill site. The article boosts about the Natural Gas line that goes to the property and also that the site is accessible by rail. It talks about what could be built on the site. If they think that the rail access is a positive, they need to take a look at the condition of the line and think about how much would be needed to upgrade the condition to an acceptable level. I wish them the best of luck and I sympathize with them in their search of a solution for the use of the land and the water side of the property.
 #1383946  by Cosakita18

fromway wrote:Article in today's BDN about possibilities for the use of the Bucksport harbor and the mill site. The article boosts about the Natural Gas line that goes to the property and also that the site is accessible by rail. It talks about what could be built on the site. If they think that the rail access is a positive, they need to take a look at the condition of the line and think about how much would be needed to upgrade the condition to an acceptable level. I wish them the best of luck and I sympathize with them in their search of a solution for the use of the land and the water side of the property.
Looks like we posted the same thing at the same time :P

They mentioned woodchips / wood waste coming in by rail as well. To me that seems like the most viable cargo on the branch, since LNG wouldn't move by rail most of the time.
 #1383953  by Cowford

I'd surely be skeptical if BDN interviewed an industrial development executive for a piece on ship operations. For the same reason, "opportunities" proposed by a ship's pilot should be taken with a grain of salt. Wood pellets? That's the "go-to" pie-in-the-sky commodity. So add Bucksport to the list (that already includes Eastport, Millinocket, Baldwin, Burnham Junction, Winterport and the Rockland area) of wood pellet mill sites.
 #1383958  by MEC407

Not just a grain of salt; a train of salt. :P :wink: