Railroad Forums 

• BSOR - Buffalo Southern Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#858315  by Matt Langworthy

AbandonedRailroader wrote:Page 3 pic 2 at Martin Road it is neat you can still see parts of the concrete slab were the Blasdell Depot once stood from 1872 and demolished in 1980. Great photo set
Oh wow... that's cool! I never knew that spot was where the depot stood.
 #858405  by Railroaded

We did run further South that day. We took that boxcar all the way to Gowanda & then picked up empties on the way back so by the time we got back to the 'Burg we had a huge train of at least 4 or 5 cars. I was wondering what happened to you that day, after Lake Ave, you dissappeared but some other group of guys showed up and chased us all the way shooting video & photos.

By the way, the flap over the radiator room blows open when the fan kicks in. It's covered to keep the heat in at nite.

Check the book "The Next Station Will Be" in the Railroadians 1994 series, Volume XIII for an excellent photo essay of old Erie stations along our line (The B&SW branch) along with the Dunkirk Branch, & Southern Tier Line.

-B in B
 #858458  by fiend540

What are the current customers on this line? I looked on their website but it doesn't seem like it has been updated in awhile.
 #858771  by Railroaded

Lots of customers. NY&LE has a few that we drop off @ Gowanda, plus some agricultural products customers in Eden & North Collins, a lumber store, a propane dealer,the new Ethanol facility, and a few more with sidings that are considered active but that haven't seen a car in a while.
 #858774  by Matt Langworthy

Railroaded wrote:We did run further South that day. We took that boxcar all the way to Gowanda & then picked up empties on the way back so by the time we got back to the 'Burg we had a huge train of at least 4 or 5 cars. I was wondering what happened to you that day, after Lake Ave, you dissappeared but some other group of guys showed up and chased us all the way shooting video & photos.
Ooops... I cheated myself out of the rest of your trip! I'm looking forward to chasing BSOR again next year. Thanks for the explanation about the flap on #5010, too.
 #858883  by Railroaded

When chasing short lines trains, sometimes, depending on 10 different factors, we might zip by you before you know we're through, or other times, you might have to wait an hour for us to get something done in between the crossings. It's not much like a class one. We may have to stop somewhere to fix something, or get something, you never know.

Also, as far as to why we would go grab only one boxcar, again, it's because we are NOT a class one and customer service is much more important to our lively hood. Think of it as the difference between a car dealership repair shop, and a local garage mechanic. One couldn't care less about you and the other one desperately needs your business and will do whatever it takes to satisfy the customer. We operate in two totally seperate realities.
 #858982  by Matt Langworthy

Railroaded wrote:When chasing short lines trains, sometimes, depending on 10 different factors, we might zip by you before you know we're through, or other times, you might have to wait an hour for us to get something done in between the crossings. It's not much like a class one. We may have to stop somewhere to fix something, or get something, you never know.
Good point. I really need to get a scanner so I can know what's going on. I think I got there ahead of you because the speed limit for most of the drive between Blasdell and Hamburg is 45-55 mph. I blew the chase through my own impatience.
Railroaded wrote: Also, as far as to why we would go grab only one boxcar, again, it's because we are NOT a class one and customer service is much more important to our lively hood. Think of it as the difference between a car dealership repair shop, and a local garage mechanic. One couldn't care less about you and the other one desperately needs your business and will do whatever it takes to satisfy the customer. We operate in two totally seperate realities.
Having grown up next to a shortline (the original B&H mainline), seeing a run for a single boxcar doesn't faze me. I think it was a surprise for the other poster in that thread, who may not be accustomed to seeing an operation like yours. Although I am not 100% certain, he may be used to seeing shortlines like the modern LA&L or FGLK, where consists of 10-40 cars are the norm. However, shortlines are like most other small businesses- each one is unique. I don't expect any of them to act like another RR. I will let that poster know what you have said- I hope it will help him understand the nature of your operation.

BTW, your analogy hits home more than you realize, but my recent dealings with getting my Saturn repaired are beyond the scope of this thread.
 #859005  by Railroaded

The only reason I said that about the car repair vs. train operation is because I was a car mechanic for 15 years before signing on with the railroad & I came out of an independent garage. The relationship we had with the dealers was exactly the same as the way a short line relates to a Class one, we both work with the same product, we need each other's business, and have to work together, but we operate completely different.

Also, at that speed you were driving, I'm sure you passed us and were down there a long time before we were. We run at half of that or less.

-B in B
 #976104  by thebigham

I drove by the Hamburg shop this week and took a few pics:

Is that an open air excursion car after the 3 cabooses?
http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=193915

Jordan spreader #35053:
http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=193917

The stored locos have been moved to a new track behind a fence:

Alco C-415 #423:
http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=193918

Alco C-424 #4212:
http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=193919

Alco S-2 #105
http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=193920

The storage line in July 2010:
http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=173225