Railroad Forums 

• Browns Yard/Coast Line freight

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1265537  by Erie Limited

TSTOM wrote:Not familiar with this area but noticed a remnant in your photo....the foundations of a signal bridge. How long ago was it dismantled ?

thanks.
The CNJ signal bridge survived into the Conrail era but was taken down some time in the early 1980s.
 #1402188  by bigblue5277

Erie Lackawanna heritage unit NS 1700:

- leading train out of Oak Island Yard.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4552802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- leading train across Raritan River.
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/590411/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1409956  by JohnFromJersey

When was the last time a freight train went past Red Bank on the Coast Line? I know there's a lumber yard down in Belmar that used to use trains for transport (some of the rails are still there), but I have no idea on dates.
 #1410626  by GooStats

JohnFromJersey wrote:When was the last time a freight train went past Red Bank on the Coast Line? I know there's a lumber yard down in Belmar that used to use trains for transport (some of the rails are still there), but I have no idea on dates.
Back in the 1980's, when I was a kid growing up in Belmar, I remember box cars at the current Lowie's facility in Neptune (across from the Bradley Beach train station), which had their own spur across Memorial Drive.
I also remember hopper cars at a building in Asbury Park right around Asbury Avenue. I think both of these stoppd getting cars around 1992 or so.

As for Belmar, the spur into the lumber yard on East Railroad Avenue was out of service as far as I can remember. I do remember a spur crossing West Railroad and 13th Avenue into the Sterner facility.

I do remember seeing a freight train in Belmar around 1982 or so, but not sure where they were going. (Point Bay fuel in Point Pleasant, perhaps?)