Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#1095582  by keyboardkat

Interesting stuff. I know a separate HEP engine simply means more maintenance costs (and probably higher initial purchase cost) but one advantage would be that all the power produced by the prime mover would be available for traction, so train acceleration and performance would not be affected by the HEP load.
 #1095608  by electricron

Without getting into a locomotive manufacturer war, I just wanted to bring up differences experienced by commuter rail vs Amtrak's national rail. Amtrak's locomotives are assigned to trains that can run over a day at a time, idling maybe half an hour at a time = while commuter rail train run an hour to two at most, then idle for several hours before running again. With Amtrak there's little fuel savings to be saved by using different sized diesels for the prime mover and hotel loads, that commuter rail operators can save. What good for one isn't always good for the other.
 #1173488  by Penn Central

MEC407 wrote:The BL36PH will have extended range dynamic brakes with blended brakes. I confirmed this with the company.
The max speed for the BL36PH is 82 mph while the MPI unit is geared for 110. The 82 mph max might be fine with the current track speeds on tri-rail but would limit the unit if higher speeds were obtained, as is possible on the FEC, The MPI units use proven GE AC technology that has been successful in Genesis engines for nearly 20 years, Brookville's only passenger experience has been with the BL20GH and that has had a mixed result.
 #1173508  by Backshophoss

The BL-20 was built as a mixed purpose Loco,passenger service 1 day,work train service the next day,switching the coach yard/shop
trackage the 3rd day,it may not be perfect,but it does the job.
The BL-36 is built to haul commuter trains,that stop/start mulitple times per trip,with a short distance between stations,best speed
between station might be in the 65-75 mph range,in express type commuter service,best speed might be 75-79 mph.
 #1173534  by DutchRailnut

Correct the lower gearing of B-L36 will improve acceleration and deceleration, the lower top speed will not hinder in commuter operation.
a locomotive geared for 110 mph will function good in express or on deadheads, but would be 25% slower in getting in and out of stations.

as for dependability of Brookville, so far its poor in either service a BL20 is put in, the dependability is not far greater than a 40 year old FL-9 on its last legs.
 #1173857  by Noel Weaver

Even if Tri-Rail eventually gets to run on a portion of the Florida East Coast I don't think it will be much over 80 MPH at best especially in the area south of West Palm Beach.
Noel Weaver
 #1174142  by fl9m2004

Speaking of Bl20gh's what's the plan for fixing air compressors
Know that they have to be open with doors tied down on both sides
 #1174212  by DutchRailnut

I don't think that belongs on Tri-rail and it was fixed over a year ago.
 #1194079  by MEC407

Wow! Thanks for posting the photo.
 #1234532  by FL9AC

Brand new locomotive sitting outside the shop in Brookville with a huge dent in the plow....wtf...over?
 #1261223  by Noel Weaver

I see one or more Tri-Rail trains every day of the week and I have yet to see any of them either on a revenue or on a test train. I might take a joy ride down to Miami in the very near future and will certainally watch for one or more of them.
Noel Weaver