Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#21334  by CSX Conductor

Hi everyone, hoping that some of you might be able to help me. I am very curios as to the name and location of a NYC subway station platform which I have seen both on documentaries of subways and on the net. The shot that I always see is at the end of a platform of an elevated section of track, looks like maybe a few miles out of Manhattan, and the trains are entering or exiting a sharp curve, with the city's skyline in the background. I went to subwaystop.com and found a picture of the location I am speaking of, but could not link it to this post.

Also, what liines service this startion?

thanks in advance!

#21409  by 7 Train

33/Rawson on the 7 also has a similar view, with the tracks curving away and a view of the Midtown skyline.

#21413  by CSX Conductor

Thanks Matt, that looks like the one. Photos I've seen on other sites have a large American flag to the right of the tracks, but maybe they are more recent or taken with a wider lense.

#21454  by 7 Train

Those photos were taken shortly after September 11, 2001.

#21622  by CSX Conductor

Otto, I didn't se any shots that made it that obvious.

Thanks again though

#21718  by Robert Paniagua

CSX Conductour, as far as Smith/9th Street is concerned, its the best view from an aboveground Station with a curve, as you walk from the last-car area (rear of platfourm) you get to see the Lower Manhattan Skyline, I got to see it, its a nice view of the skyline from Smith/9th.

If you want to get a good view of the Midtown Mahattan Skyline from a subway stop, the go to Queensborough Plaza, the outbound level (upper level), the one that's out in the open air, and look to your west. I've also waited for service there, and you get to see a decent view of the Midtown Skyline along with the Empire State Building, the area's Highest Structure.

#26431  by 7 Train

Queensboro Plaza is not the best view of midtown from a Queens station. 33/Rawson (also on the 7) has a better view since QBP is blocked by the Silvercup Studios and the Queensboro Bridge.

Queensboro Plaza

33/Rawson

#26439  by Irish Chieftain

7 Train wrote:33/Rawson on the 7 also has a similar view, with the tracks curving away and a view of the Midtown skyline.
That's in Queens, not Brooklyn.

#26702  by 7 Train

But the thread was also talking about Queens as well.

#42452  by GP38

Actually, while not as impressive as some of the other stations mentioned, Forest Ave on the M has some really nice views of the Manhattan Skyline from it's station, amazingly so considering it is in the middle of the Brooklyn-Queens border area. From the south end, you can see all of lower manhattan, and the WIlliamsburg Bridge towers on clear days. From the middle, you can get a great glimpse of midtown, including the Empire State and the Columbus circle area buildings.
The reason for this is because RIdgewood is sort of high up on a hill, and all the buildings are about three stories, so you have a sweeping view over them to Manhattan. If I get a chance, I will post some photos of it.

#42572  by efin98

GP38 wrote:Actually, while not as impressive as some of the other stations mentioned, Forest Ave on the M has some really nice views of the Manhattan Skyline from it's station, amazingly so considering it is in the middle of the Brooklyn-Queens border area. From the south end, you can see all of lower manhattan, and the WIlliamsburg Bridge towers on clear days. From the middle, you can get a great glimpse of midtown, including the Empire State and the Columbus circle area buildings.
Darn, I missed those views when I rode that train last month! and I was sitting on the side that you can see those views too!
The reason for this is because RIdgewood is sort of high up on a hill, and all the buildings are about three stories, so you have a sweeping view over them to Manhattan. If I get a chance, I will post some photos of it.
Please do, will help put thigns into perspective clearly :)

#42578  by Fred G

GP38 wrote:Actually, while not as impressive as some of the other stations mentioned, Forest Ave on the M has some really nice views of the Manhattan Skyline from it's station, amazingly so considering it is in the middle of the Brooklyn-Queens border area. From the south end, you can see all of lower manhattan, and the WIlliamsburg Bridge towers on clear days. From the middle, you can get a great glimpse of midtown, including the Empire State and the Columbus circle area buildings.
You're absolutely correct about the views from Ridgewood. My favorite is Seneca Av station.

#42594  by Fred G

7 Train wrote:Queensboro Plaza is not the best view of midtown from a Queens station. 33/Rawson (also on the 7) has a better view since QBP is blocked by the Silvercup Studios and the Queensboro Bridge.
40th/Lowery is no slouch either.