Railroad Forums 

• Brightline Orlando (MCO) and Disney Extension - PHASE 2

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1561117  by nctrains

Interestingly enough, Brightline was asked in a presentation to the Central Florida Expressway Authority about competition with Sunrail over that corridor from the airport to Disney World. Brightline's response was that they do not see Sunrail as competition and that they have no plans to market the connection between the two stations. That, to me at least, would indicate that they have no plans to replace the Disney Magical Express bus.

I find that to be a very bold strategy since selling a premium transportation service from the airport to Disney would likely give them much needed revenue and publicity. Logistically, I would think that it will also be a great benefit given that Disney will serve as the endpoint on the line until Tampa is completed in 2029 (I believe)-- since many passengers may end their trips at the airport, the trains would conceptually have capacity to spare for an airport to Disney crowd. But I wonder if they are more willing to hand that advantage to Sunrail in exchange for track access fees and a commuter rail service that will allow Brightline travelers to connect from the airport to downtown Orlando and other points along the Sunrail north/south corridor.
 #1561174  by NaugyRR

I'd be more comfortable with a shuttle service, even more so if Disney had transfer buses just for guests arriving by train and visa-versa. I'm still wondering if Disney's gonna start their own bus shuttle or something evolved from the Minnie Van service. We're planning a trip (hopefully) for next Christmas and at this point it sounds like I'll be booking a MEARS shuttle.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

#1561497  by troffey

HenryAlan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:05 am
NaugyRR wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:18 pm I wonder if Disney and Brightline are planning an airport rail shuttle; I'm sure people will use it as such, although I'd rather have direct transport to Port Orleans rather than airport-train-Disney Springs-boat/bus.
Yeah, it's a shame, because the one seat ride plus luggage handling at no cost was nice. Just the same, there were times when the bus I was on would be routed through multiple resorts before reaching my destination. I might prefer a single transfer with a direct connection from there to the resort over hitting multiple other locations. Knowing Disney, they will likely still handle the luggage part, so people will take a train to Disney Springs, probably spend some money there, and then after a few hours, hop on a bus. Might work better for a lot of folks, and certainly for Disney.
Disney suspended luggage handling on the buses post Covid already. They take it on the bus, but you handle it yourself https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/a ... -delivery/
 #1565676  by RRspatch

Concerning Brightline construction I suggest you checkout the following YouTube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheRoamingRailfan/videos

The guy who runs this channel posts twice weekly updates on Brightline construction.
 #1565694  by Jeff Smith

https://wdwnt.com/2021/03/brightline-re ... onnection/
Brightline has revealed a detailed explanation of the costs of its new rail connecting Disney Springs to the Orlando International Airport. With two possible routes, Brightline is leaning towards the $1.03 billion option, which would run parallel to state road 417.

The second route, which was envisioned in 2010, would utilize state road 528 but cost $2.1 billion, require 1.9 million square feet of bridges, affect 76 private properties, and involve an arrangement with SunRail. The cheaper option would require about 342,000 square feet of bridges and only involve three private properties. The routes are approximately the same length of 16.7 miles, as pictured below.
Brightline is in the midst of a $2.7 billion extension from West Palm Beach to Orlando, which is expected to begin service in 2023. Construction on the Disney Springs station is expected to begin five years from now, and Brightline is also hoping to build 68 miles of rail connecting the station to Tampa.
 #1565832  by Arlington

daybeers wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:40 pm Interesting, I wonder what the time difference is between the two alignments.
Article says both are about 16.7 miles, so it is all about average speed. Some easy speeds to think about
167mph = 6 minutes (HSR alignment + 200mph Shinkansen)
150mph =7 minutes (HSR aligment + 186 mph bog-standard HST)
100mph = 10 minutes (HSR alignment + 150mph?)
83.5mph = 12 minutes (HSR Alignment + Brightline 125mph diesel that only peaks briefly in the middle of both straightaways)
50mph = 20 minutes (2021 Alignment + Brightline 125mph diesel)
41.7mph = 25 minutes "commuter rail"

So I'm going to go with 12minutes vs 20 minutes and say "about twice as much time" but still not many actual minutes difference given it is a 16.7 mi trip anyway
 #1566969  by Jeff Smith

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/arc ... on-by-2022
The South Florida high-speed rail provider still expects to complete their line connecting the current line between West Palm Beach and Miami to Orlando International Airport by December 2022. They shared this outlook in their report on February construction, per the Orlando Business Journal.

The high-speed rail service would not be ready the second the connection is made. Testing and certification of the Orlando expansion would push the opening date for service between Orlando and Miami to 2023. In addition to the airport extension, Brightline has its eye on building a line that runs from Orlando to Tampa by 2025, stopping on the way for Walt Disney World.
 #1568150  by Jeff Smith

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... -complete/
MIAMI — As part of preparation for its extension to Orlando, Brightline has completed a second highway grade separation for its 125-mph right-of-way east of the Orlando Airport utilizing the box-jacking process, where pre-cast concrete boxes are pushed under a road to reduce extended auto traffic disruptions and construction costs.

Brightline trains have not operated between Miami and West Palm Beach for more than a year as a result of COVID-19’s impact on travel, but the company is aiming for a fourth-quarter 2021 restart, Brightline Senior VP of Corporate Affairs Ben Porritt tells Trains News Wire. Meanwhile, work continues on the West Palm Beach-Orlando segment and other projects.

Here’s a look at the most recent developments:

Box-jacking at Cocoa, Fla.

The grade separation involved narrowed highway lanes in March and a few overnight closures of the Beachline Expressway, State Route 528, where the rail right-of-way from Orlando joins Florida East Coast Railway’s main line just west of Cocoa, Fla. In 2020, Brightline used the technique to build an underpass under Goldenrod Road east of Orlando International Airport in just nine days. Traditional grade separation construction would have shut down portions of the highway for a year while separate bridges were erected.