Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1008972  by Darien Red Sox

Jeff Smith wrote:I think other stations in CT would be priority, including the one on the dink in Stamford at US1.
There was an East Stamford station at one point, I forget whether it was hear or not though. If they were able to build a station there it would hopefully take a lot of strain off of the local roads, having the dink stop there as opposed to main line trains is also a good idea because it would not increase the commute time for mainline trains.
 #1010361  by Fred G

I think if they spend that kind of money they should build a station and parking facility to replace the current station so that the park and ride situation is better. I don't see how Bridgeport needs 2 stations under 2 miles apart and agree with those who say it would make the ride one stop more unpleasant. A new station could be tied to adjoining development and (cross your fingers) something could actually happen in Bridgeport.
 #1010441  by Noel Weaver

Sorry but I think the present station in Bridgeport is adequate and needs to remain exactly where it is. At least you have a semblence of intermodal connections with local bus service nearby and the ferry to Port Jeff. a short walk as well. Move it out of here and you will involve bus or taxi transfers for everywhere that you need to go if you do not have a car and after all, public transportation should be geared to people who either don't drive or don't own a car. What kind of people would connect from a train to the ferry at Bridgeport? People enroute to Long Island from Connecticut, Boston, Springfield and other far away poins in New England.
Noel Weaver
 #1010478  by Ridgefielder

Noel Weaver wrote:Sorry but I think the present station in Bridgeport is adequate and needs to remain exactly where it is. At least you have a semblence of intermodal connections with local bus service nearby and the ferry to Port Jeff. a short walk as well. Move it out of here and you will involve bus or taxi transfers for everywhere that you need to go if you do not have a car and after all, public transportation should be geared to people who either don't drive or don't own a car. What kind of people would connect from a train to the ferry at Bridgeport? People enroute to Long Island from Connecticut, Boston, Springfield and other far away poins in New England.
Noel Weaver
Not to mention the fact that the current station is actually downtown and while I realize the Bridgeport of today is not the Bridgeport of, say, 1952, it's still the largest city in the state, and plenty of people work in the downtown business district.
 #1085609  by Jeff Smith

Bridgeport is moving forward: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/a ... 890778.php

Anyone know anything about the trestle? When did it last get service? This reminds me of the old trestle just before Shell long disconnected from Track 3.
Bridgeport took the first step in its plan to build a Metro-North railroad station on Barnum Avenue when it sought Inland Wetlands Commission approval to demolish buildings and storage sheds on a seven-acre portion of the former Remington Arms Co. site.

After listening to a proposal from Donald Lussier, an engineer with Fuss & O'Neill in Manchester, the commission, on the recommendation of Ann Pappas Phillips and acting Chairman Mel Riley, decided Monday that a public hearing would be in order before proceeding with approval.

Lussier said his company's plans call for demolishing fire-ravaged, vacant buildings, a smokestack, two utility sheds, an above-ground storage tank and an old wooden railroad trestle. He said the trestle's wood probably is treated with creosote, which medical authorities believe is carcinogenic.

Phillips, a commissioner and land-use expert, asked what kind of care would be taken in removing the wood and also expressed concern about the dust created during the smokestack's demolition.

Lussier said he would have those answers for the commission during the public hearing. He told the commission he was more concerned about the smokestack falling on the current Metro-North tracks than on the wetland.

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Bri ... z27Ua8ya3n
 #1085800  by kitn1mcc

one of two the line that went up to GE or there own track that went into remmington there is an old box car back there too that still has remington paint on it
 #1087124  by Clean Cab

Why not just have a station every mile? That way more people could enjoy a 6 hour ride into NYC!!!!
 #1087125  by DutchRailnut

yup just like a trolley not fast but public transportation never the less
 #1089172  by Clean Cab

Darien Red Sox wrote:
Jeff Smith wrote:I think other stations in CT would be priority, including the one on the dink in Stamford at US1.
There was an East Stamford station at one point, I forget whether it was hear or not though. If they were able to build a station there it would hopefully take a lot of strain off of the local roads, having the dink stop there as opposed to main line trains is also a good idea because it would not increase the commute time for mainline trains.

The station east of Stamford was Glenbrook. It was closed in the 60's or 70's. There is another Glenbrook Station on the New Canaan Branch not too far from where the other Glenbrook was which is most likely the reason it was closed.
 #1089227  by Ridgefielder

Clean Cab wrote:
Darien Red Sox wrote:

The station east of Stamford was Glenbrook. It was closed in the 60's or 70's. There is another Glenbrook Station on the New Canaan Branch not too far from where the other Glenbrook was which is most likely the reason it was closed.
I thought Glenbrook (main line) was closed when the high levels came in, because it was on a curve.
 #1091474  by Jeff Smith

Ah, forget the East Stamford/Glenbrook station. I think I'm starting to default to the too many stations theory. I'd still like to get some documentation of the Remington trestle.
 #1108796  by Mike Jones

THIS IS STUPID. They should just throw the old pocket back in at Bridgeport and be done with it.
Jeff Smith wrote:Bridgeport is moving forward: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/a ... 890778.php

Anyone know anything about the trestle? When did it last get service? This reminds me of the old trestle just before Shell long disconnected from Track 3.
Bridgeport took the first step...
I'm pretty sure the trestle is the one right in between the powerhouse on the property and the mainline. There's a connection on the spur for (what went to) the old Bridgeport freight yards. One line of the spur served the Remington complex on Barnum, the other part branches off at Seaview ave and follows a creek up to the old GE plant location on the Post Road.
kitn1mcc wrote:one of two the line that went up to GE or there own track that went into remmington there is an old box car back there too that still has remington paint on it
Yeah, there's two of them. I remember talking with Rich Cizik from the CT Eastern RR Museum about them a few years back. Seemed like he was interested in them. I don't know how far he got in finding the owner or anything, considering they're still sitting there and the only lead I had to any of the doings at the old Remington plant moved down to Florida for medical reasons. I'd look for the PMs, but my account was deleted, as was Rich's from the looks of it. Inactivity, I assume. Eh, ya snooze ya lose.
 #1194047  by ThirdRail7

Update:

Bridgeport makes preparations for second train station

A brief fair use quote:

http://westfaironline.com/55610/bridgep ... n-station/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A study that examines the feasibility of a train station on Barnum Avenue has been completed and submitted to a regional advisory board, the New York-Connecticut Sustainable Communities Consortium, for its review, said Ruben Felipe, deputy chief of staff to Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch.

Felipe said the consortium, which comprises numerous New York and Connecticut towns and government agencies, is expected to approve the train station plan at its June 26 meeting. Obtaining the consortium’s approval is the “first step” in what is expected to be an “infinitely complex” approvals process, he added. The feasibility study would then be released to the public, Felipe said.