Railroad Forums 

• Bridge between Secaucus and Rutherford.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#83264  by MikeW

I heard this bridge(not sure what they call it) is stuck in the closed position. And that two tugs are stuck up river. I saw two tug tied up by the BCUA sewage plant in Little Ferry. Anyone else hear anything?

#83302  by steemtrayn

There's a 15 mph speed restriction on the bridge(HX), I believe due to a bridge strike.

#83324  by sullivan1985

No, havnt heard anything. But I was kinda wondering why I didnt see it open last weekend. Usually its up for a good portion of the weekends and it was closed for the whole time.
 #83409  by Phase Gap

The bridge you are talking about is called HX Draw. And yes the bridge is broken in the closed position. It is going to take about 4 weks to fix and can not be open until fixed. Because of problem NJT is now renting 2 tugs for the 4 weeks or until a new bearing can be made and put in.Just another day in the life of NJT.

#83435  by Irish Chieftain

Doesn't seem to be a standard helmsman's licence, eh? Any rail drawbridge is subject to be hit by a barge or other ship, but never a road drawbridge, funny enough. (OT mention: Recall about two years back, when the Amtrak bridge across the Harlem River got hit twice, resulting in Empire Corridor trains and the Lake Shore Limited being diverted from NYP into Grand Central?)
 #83608  by MikeW

I heard this from the bridge tender of the one that goes between Secaucus and Lyndhurst. He did'nt mention a barge hitting it. Just parts were falling off of when they opened it.

#83612  by Jtgshu

Oh my, parts falling off when they opened it!!!!! They need duct tape and seat checks out there!!!!
 #83619  by MikeW

I'm glad you think thats funny. But I bet the guy in the boat did'nt.

#83627  by Jtgshu

Im sure he didn't, its just that duct tape and seatchecks are what keep alot of the passenger cars together and panels and doors closed up and seats together, and hand brake housings covered, and exposed wires shielded, and lots and lots of other stuff.

Im not surprised to see this level of "quality control" being exclusive to the rolling stock side of things......

#83699  by 7 Train

I heard this from the bridge tender of the one that goes between Secaucus and Lyndhurst.
That's the other one. Upper Hack?
 #83714  by MikeW

Down the Hacky. The big blue one.
 #85422  by MikeW

Was on the turnpike yesterday those tugs are still tied up in Little Ferry. I guess NJT did'nt fix that bridgr yet.

#85518  by ryanov

Which line is this on, the Main or the Bergen?

How much is it going to hurt when my train goes into the river? Anyone know -- I want to dress appropriately.

#85667  by 7 Train

The bridge mentioned in this thread is HX (Bergen line). Upper Hack is Main Line.

#90177  by ryanov

7 Train wrote:The bridge mentioned in this thread is HX (Bergen line). Upper Hack is Main Line.
Thought I rememebered something about this. Now the impending BCL shutdown makes a lot more sense!