Railroad Forums 

• Bridge between Secaucus and Rutherford.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#90228  by MikeW

Did they fix the bridge yet?
 #90259  by pgengler

MikeW wrote:Did they fix the bridge yet?
NJT had a service advisory for BCL trains for this weekend (with no service over HX), but someone in the NJT Rail forum mentioned that it had been withdrawn, probably because of all the snow being predicted.

#90638  by speedbird

This crane came up river during the middle of last week.

The orange structural members are new, and look temporary.

The tugboats are used to move oil barges serving Hess installations in Secaucus and Bogota. I would think that Hess, as well as the marina owners up river in Carlstadt, would seek damages for time and business lost.

#90884  by sullivan1985

speedbird wrote:This crane came up river during the middle of last week.

The tugboats are used to move oil barges serving Hess installations in Secaucus and Bogota. I would think that Hess, as well as the marina owners up river in Carlstadt, would seek damages for time and business lost.
Very nice shots... Taken from the Harmon Towers im guessing?

Thanks for posting :-)

#90956  by 7 Train

I'm assuming that HX predates Upper Hack, which was built in 1958.

#91083  by sullivan1985

7 Train wrote:I'm assuming that HX predates Upper Hack, which was built in 1958.
Anyone have photos of the old Upper-Hack if the new one was built only under 50 years ago?

#91285  by cjvrr

Those orange steel members look like temporary piles. These are placed on the fixed portion of the span. The big concrete counterweight is on the back side of the movable span.

I would guess some type of settlement (or deterioration) has occurred at the back side of the headframe structure for the moveable span. I can see why they can't open it. If they did it may move out of alignment.

Not the best time of year to be a worker on that project.

#93152  by speedbird

sullivan1985 wrote:Taken from the Harmon Towers im guessing?
Yup ... here are a couple more. There were some serious sparks flying down from the top of the bridge last night, a little too dark for a proper picture.

It's been a quiet weekend around here.

#93298  by Freddie

Why the dog leg? I'm guessing the "modern" HX Bridge replaced an earlier one? Which direction are these photos looking?

Fredie in Californai

#93312  by speedbird

This bridge replaced an earlier one sometime in the 1930s, I believe. There is a dogleg on the near side as well.

You are looking west toward Rutherford. Actually, it's 20 degrees west of north, but west for the purposes of the railroad.
 #93684  by MikeW

I'm guessing those tugs tided up river are starting to cost NJT. And there's a push to fix the bridge.

#95566  by speedbird

Back in business...

#95574  by speedbird

The last couple of days. I'm inclined to say this is the first marine traffic, but I haven't exactly been standing watch.
 #95575  by MikeW

I saw that tug tided up at the sewerage treatment plant on Thursday 02/03.