Railroad Forums 

• Branch off the Pascack Valley Line

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#8178  by obsessed railfan

I'm pretty sure that was the Erie Railroad's Northern Branch.
I know Conrail served it for years. I'm not sure who serves it now.
Hope this helps!

-Bryan

#263737  by mainetrain

wow,
this one is all over the place.

I think it is just an industrial spur off the pascack valley line

The Bergen Tech I know of is in Hackensack but has no rail lines

The northern branch is, well, the northern branch. From teterboro, it's past the Susy Q and the Riverline if you head east
 #264406  by 7 Train

obsessed railfan wrote:I'm pretty sure that was the Erie Railroad's Northern Branch.
I know Conrail served it for years. I'm not sure who serves it now.
It's now CSX.
 #268704  by General

xXwelderXx wrote:What was the branch of the Pascack Valley Line that ran down into Teterboro, NJ and served what is now the Bergen County Tech. School?? I have noticed a number of siding in around the area of the school. What were the operations down here?
NS currently serves the Pascack Valley Line. It has been over 4 years since I served any PVL customers, however when I did one of the old timers had mentioned that the school was off one of the Ford leads or the Siemens Lead.

#278779  by Nickelplated Hustler

I worked the pascack and never came close to a school but I am pretty new.

#279089  by Sir Ray

Isn't the Bergen Tech School on the north side of Rte 46, right across from Teterboro Airport? If so, there are indeed a number of spur there south of I80, but I think only Stone Container and Agfa still receive regular service (there are about 5 industries west of Huygen which could receive rail service but don't - one directly east of Stone which would sporadically receive a boxcar or two, but apparently nothing for the past three years). This branch eventually swoops around north of Agfa and then heads east crossing Huygen, but peters out behind some buildings (apparently an old milling concern) - doesn't look like rail service will be restored here. The Ford parts distributorship is gone (this was always good for some huge High-Cube boxcars), and a number of industries along both existing and past spurs simpy don't need rail service (Strawberry's for one - I think this is were that private plane crashed last year; the business with the red-dragon logo [Symtech???] - number of buildings around this area actually; and apparently a church community center [:(] ). Usually there's a GP38 idling across the road from where the branch comes off the main...
North of I80 another branch came off the line (well, several once did way back, but this was active till recently) and headed east, curving north (it once continue east to what is now a discount restaurant equipment center) to what was a pasta factory...but is now something else which doesn't get rail freight (the pasta factory would get 1 covered hopper, sometimes an airslide - as of a month ago the piping and hoses to unload these hoppers was still there, hanging on the wall unused). Actually this whole section has quite a few alleys which any experienced ROW hunter would recognize as the basis of an large branch network, and must have been rather interesting some decades ago (say, pre-Conrail).

Of course, if this is not the branch you were talking about... nevermind.

#350626  by mainetrain

Sir Ray wrote:Isn't the Bergen Tech School on the north side of Rte 46, right across from Teterboro Airport?
yes, it is. apparently, they have many buildings in various locations throughout the area. The building I was thinking about was just south of Rt4. My apologies

#359701  by Hawaiitiki

The school located in Teterboro on what was once an industrial property is now what is truly Bergen "Tech". The school in Hackensack near the Riverside Square Mall is more accurately now called the Bergen Academies. It is a public school for gifted and talented students throughout Bergen County.