Railroad Forums 

• Brakes on Passenger Cars

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1098622  by conductorbob

When I worked on the former NH and NYC local service out of GCT, the electric mus had an electric brake and then a "straight air" brake when the brake handel was put all the way over. On the FL9's and E units the brake handel was moved to the center postion before the "straight air" went on to stop the train. were they ever designed to have an electric brake like the mus had? I remeber hearing once about the NYC was looking into putting electric brakes on the cars of the Century. The brakes on the freight engines was always straight air. Just curious. Thanks for any imput. Bob R.
 #1098683  by Statkowski

On a normal electric, diesel-electric or diesel-hydraulic locomotive there are only three types of brakes - the independent (air) brake, the train brake, and dynamic brake (if the engine is so equipped). To change any locomotive to electric braking (for the locomotive only) would require a major reconfiguration of its overall operational make-up. It would also severely restrict the locomotive on its ability to work with other locomotives. To change cars being pulled to such type of braking would likewise limit their utilization ability. The entire railroad world is standardized on George Westinghouse's invention. It has been improved on, but the basics have not been changed.

MU cars and other self-propelled trains? Not a problem at all using whatever system they wanted to. They didn't have to intermingle with everything else.
 #1098992  by CannaScrews

conductorbob - in what capacity did you work out of GCT?
 #1099113  by Noel Weaver

Some railroads used a sort of a electric brake system on their diesel operated passenger trains. I don't think the ones in the east used it though. I remember riding the Northern Pacific many, many years ago when they were using it. I watched an air test being performed at St. Paul back in the early 60's. Some if not most PRR E-8's at one time had a device on their authomatic brake valve to operate trains in this manner but I doubt if it was ever actually used in revenue service. Amtrak at one time used an EP brake on their E-60's with Amfleet cars but it was disabled probably due to maintenance issues and it was not in use for too long either.
As for MU's there have been a number of different type brake systems used over a period of years combining automatic air, straight air controlled through a SAP (straight air pipe) or through the jumper, automatic air with electric actuating in each car (this one worked very well and was used for a lot of cars for a long time) and finally dynamic/blended air which is in wide use today. There have been a number of different theories for the many changes in braking systems with electric MU's over a long period of years.
Noel Weaver
 #1101296  by conductorbob

Thanks for the imput. Sorry I took so long to reply, but I just got power back after being out since Sunday. Cannascrews, I worked as pagr conductor on the former NHRR, from GCT to NH and Penn sta to Boston and the Hudson division, locals and Amtrak to Albany. I started in towers out of GCT in NK and MO towers before going to freight service on the River Division. I worked on the Mohawk out of selkirk to Syracuse also. The best place to work was the former NH, even though I came off the Central. but again thanks for the info.Conductorbob
 #1104959  by CannaScrews

Glad you got power back.

Probably ran across some people I know in your travels. It's a very small world even without the internet.
 #1105261  by pbass

conductorbob-I started in towers in 1973 and was one of the few qualified at NK.When did you work towers,we might have known one another or just in passing?
 #1107133  by conductorbob

Pbass, I worked NK in the summer and part of the fall in 1970. I posted the job under Willie Spencer. He later went on to be a dispactcher . I meet up with him in the early 80's when I was working on the Hudson div as a conductor. Wille was a great railroader and I learned alot from him. I often wonder if leaving the warmth of a tower job to switching box cars out in the snow was worth it. Conductorbob
 #1109372  by pbass

conductorbob:you hired out three years before i did.i knew willie spencer-a real nice gentleman.you and i made the proper decision transferring out of towers-there was no future in it.there is no such thing as a metro north towerman any more,the craft ceases to exist.the first day i walked into hm tower for training, the first thing the oldtimers said to me was 'son,you are in the wrong craft"and explained why.i got familiar with signal dept.personnel and they told me the interlockings were going to be remote controlled.as i look back,towers was a great experience for my railroad career and have no regrets leaving the craft when i did.