Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #299056  by tdooders

Hi. Im not sure if I am in the correct forum or not. I am looking for some old photos of the repair shops and power house of the BR&P (Buffalo, Rochester Pittsburg railway) that was in Rochester ny. The repair shops were on West Avenue. Was called old Buffalo Street back then. I am doing a project for the current owner of the building now. I want to show him what the building looked like back then. THe building now is used for welding fabrication but still has some tracks going thru it. If anyone has any information or point me in the right direction that would be great. THanks
 #299176  by henry6

Post on NYSTATE, PA STATE, CSX and B&O forums. BR&P ran from Buffalo and Rochester NY to Pittsburgh PA, became part of the B&O then CSX.
 #519607  by tomjohn

henry6 wrote:Post on NYSTATE, PA STATE, CSX and B&O forums. BR&P ran from Buffalo and Rochester NY to Pittsburgh PA, became part of the B&O then CSX.
Yes, the b&o was controlled by the C&O(I think) the b&o took control of the B. R. & P. RR in 1929 and what was left of the BUFFALO & SUSQUEHANNA RR in 1932 ..
 #519778  by tomjohn

tomjohn wrote:
henry6 wrote:Post on NYSTATE, PA STATE, CSX and B&O forums. BR&P ran from Buffalo and Rochester NY to Pittsburgh PA, became part of the B&O then CSX.
Yes, the b&o was controlled by the C&O(I think) the b&o took control of the B. R. & P. RR in 1929 and what was left of the BUFFALO & SUSQUEHANNA RR in 1932 ..
Here's the rundown on CSXT/CSX ...

1-Seaboard System Railroad
2-Chessie System, Inc.
3-Atlantic Coast Line Railroad
4-Seaboard Air Line Railroad
5-Louisville and Nashville Railroad
6-Chesapeake and Ohio Railway
7-Baltimore and Ohio Railroad
8-Chessie System
9-Seaboard Coast Line Industries

If this doesn't help try this link below for maps that you may be looking for. http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/maps/

Tom
 #584912  by bluegrass-express

tdooders wrote:Hi. Im not sure if I am in the correct forum or not. I am looking for some old photos of the repair shops and power house of the BR&P (Buffalo, Rochester Pittsburg railway) that was in Rochester ny. The repair shops were on West Avenue. Was called old Buffalo Street back then. I am doing a project for the current owner of the building now. I want to show him what the building looked like back then. THe building now is used for welding fabrication but still has some tracks going thru it. If anyone has any information or point me in the right direction that would be great. THanks
Are you referring to Frank Metal? I sent him some of my photos of the roundhouse and service tracks a few years ago. I tried arranging a visit in person, but had no response.
I met the B&O chief mechanic there in 1972 - pretty friendly guy, let me check the place out and take photos. He opened up when I showed him my prints, as well as Bill Aeberli's series on the BR&P in the Greece (NY) Post. When he spotted a photo of a Presidential Pacific, he said he worked on some of those, meaning in Dubois and Punxatawney PA, before his transfer to Rochester.
Is the project focus on the BR&P or the B&O?
Bob
 #585277  by BR&P

If it's welding and fabrication, it would be the old BR&P coach shop on the south side of West Ave. They make snow buckets for front end loaders among other things. There are still rails in the floor inside the place but they're no longer connected to the R&S.
 #586337  by bluegrass-express

BR&P wrote:If it's welding and fabrication, it would be the old BR&P coach shop on the south side of West Ave. They make snow buckets for front end loaders among other things. There are still rails in the floor inside the place but they're no longer connected to the R&S.
From another of his posts on this site, looks like that's what he's after.
My suggestion would be to look up Paul Pietrak's 1979 book on the BR&P.
 #640359  by bluegrass-express

I decided to scan and share some photos of the roundhouse, although I don't think that was the original question in this thread. I took the opportunity to photograph the facility inside and out, especially after taking a photo class in 1972. I think these were taken in 1973, but I'm not positive.
turntable view looking toward crew house, roundhouse office, and West Ave:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1497247
turntable view looking east toward unused bunk house and Buffalo Road, vantage point was an F7A cab:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1497249
roundhouse interior on West Ave side (glass is bricked over for operations of Frank Metal):
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1497250
roundhouse interior showing a bit of walkways for servicing engines, and diesel oil drum, probably for filling gearboxes (I have another photo of the mechanic pulling a dipstick under a GP9 while in an ash pit):
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1497319