Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #315910  by Mike@IHP

What was the truck type/designation used by the BP20 locos? Are there photos/drawings anywhere?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Bartel

#327067  by Allen Hazen

I don't know a designation. The truck design was very similar to that used on the Alco PA: same wheelbase, and VISUALLY pretty undistinguishable. (That is, **I** didn't see any visible differences when I looked at photos! There may be some small detail difference I didn't notice, but they are definitely more like the original PA trucks than like the FM Erie-built trucks.)

George Elwood's marvelous "Fallen Flags" railphoto WWWebsite has pages from the PRR locomotive diagram book: roughly drawn diagram of the whole locomotive, not much detailon the truck. (I note that the PRR's BP-20 had 42" wheels, whereas their Alco PA had 40". And the Baldwin units seem to have had larger journal bearings-- boxes 7" wide instead of 6.5" -- which may have been because the units were about a quarter heavier than the Alcos.)