Railroad Forums 

• Bound Brook Question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1259381  by ACeInTheHole

Hi all. I have a question pertaining to Bound Brook, it seems to be a great spot for a sunset shot with a train. As such, Im kind of interested in paying a visit to see what I come up with. Does anyone here have any info theyd care to pass along? Where exactly does the sun set in relation to the tracks? I know its in the general area between the westbound freight and passenger tracks, but is it a good angle for a shot of either? Are there any good trains that run around sunset? Etc. any info would be appreciated... Thanks all!
 #1259534  by waldwickrailfan

ACeInTheHole wrote:Hi all. I have a question pertaining to Bound Brook, it seems to be a great spot for a sunset shot with a train. As such, Im kind of interested in paying a visit to see what I come up with. Does anyone here have any info theyd care to pass along? Where exactly does the sun set in relation to the tracks? I know its in the general area between the westbound freight and passenger tracks, but is it a good angle for a shot of either? Are there any good trains that run around sunset? Etc. any info would be appreciated... Thanks all!
The sun usually sets looking westbound between CR and NJT tracks. It's a great shot for outbound traffic towards the evening yes. However EB trains are tough to get a good shot of. As for good trains, that depends what comes. Most days you get crude oil with BNSF power throughout the day, but all K trains on CSX run whenever. No set schedule. NS is mainly intermodal, but you can get good power once in a while. Really depends what NS decides to put on trains lol
 #1260010  by ACeInTheHole

waldwickrailfan wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:Hi all. I have a question pertaining to Bound Brook, it seems to be a great spot for a sunset shot with a train. As such, Im kind of interested in paying a visit to see what I come up with. Does anyone here have any info theyd care to pass along? Where exactly does the sun set in relation to the tracks? I know its in the general area between the westbound freight and passenger tracks, but is it a good angle for a shot of either? Are there any good trains that run around sunset? Etc. any info would be appreciated... Thanks all!
The sun usually sets looking westbound between CR and NJT tracks. It's a great shot for outbound traffic towards the evening yes. However EB trains are tough to get a good shot of. As for good trains, that depends what comes. Most days you get crude oil with BNSF power throughout the day, but all K trains on CSX run whenever. No set schedule. NS is mainly intermodal, but you can get good power once in a while. Really depends what NS decides to put on trains lol
Ah, very cool info. I am not particularly interested in catching a specific type of locomotive for this shot (even though as my user handle implies an SD70ACe would be great.), Im just more into grabbing the shot in general. I remember when I was there a few weeks ago, one CSX train had a derated GP40-2 stuck in front of two GE widecabs (ES40DC and AC4400CW), that was a neat little lashup. My primary camera is a Nikon P520, one of the bridge model compact superzooms, because of its zoom it had no trouble with framing an eastbound with three UP locomotives on it last time I was there around midday. Thanks for the info though! I will definitely try for the shot soon, before the heat warms everything up and the heat distortion ruins everything. I will show what I get later on!