This doesn't look like it's going to be easy...and you folks aint' helpin' so far.
1. Looks like an overnighter in PWM. The ferry to YQI leaves at 0800 arriving on/about 1600 ADT.
2. Which requires another overnighter in YQI as the ground transport to YHZ also leave at 0800 arriving
between 1130 and 1230. The between is the sticky point as the VIA train to YUL leaves at 1235.
3. So to be safe it seems another overnighter is needed in YUL. So three full days and haven't yet step
foot on a VIA train.
4. Train #15 arrives YUL on/about 0800 giving us almost a full day to tour Montreal before
boarding train #1 for a 2200 departure. We should arrive YYJ on/about 0900 the third morning.
5. Now to wade our way through the VIA website on accommodations and costs. We'll want a bedroom
on all legs, but the bedrooms on the Ocean and the Canadian appear to be of diffent specs and
Fortunately we've a little over a year before travel commences should we decide the logistics are worth
the effort. Again, if any of you folks familiar with VIA and their services could help we'd appreciate it.
Will keep you posted as we "progress".
Whoa, just realized we've gotten to YUL but still have to continue onto YYZ for the 2200 boarding of the Canadian. I'll be back when I've crossed that bridge/pont.
Looks like that "almost full day too tour Montreal" will be made up of travel between YUL and YYZ. The schedules appear finally to mesh. There's a decent connection at YUL and at YYZ. But still it's not going to be easy. Interesting maybe, but definately not easy
Code: Select all
to help readers translate the above post, here is a list of the IATA airport codes used:
PWM - Portland International Jetport - Portland, Maine
YQI - Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
YHZ - Robert L Stanfield International Airport - Halifax, Nova Scotia
YUL - Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport - Dorval(Montreal), Quebec
YYJ - Victoria International Airport - Victoria, British Columbia
YYZ - Lester B Pearson International Airport - Mississauga(Toronto), Ontario
although VIA trains and The Cat Ferry do not serve any of these airports (well, maybe Dorval) directly