Railroad Forums 

• Boston and Albany Steam Locomotive Color scheme

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#870506  by mr. mick

My LHS has a couple of B & A steam locomotives with tenders, - possibly Riverrossi- and I noticed that the locomotives were black, but the tenders were a dark olive green; was this typical for the B & A steam paint schemes, or did someone swap out the locos for black ones? (Just curious)
 #873224  by Eliphaz

I found your question of interest also, and had the opportunity today to put it to a knowledgeable gentleman of my acquaintance.
He says there is reason to believe that some of the B&A Hudsons were delivered new from Alco with olive green boilers, but whether there were matching green tenders is open to speculation.
Certain engines (and possibly matching tenders) were also sometimes painted green for special duties and exhibitions. Furthermore there were a number of tender switches between locomotive classes that went on over the years, to accommodate certain engines to certain duties, turntable length, route distance traveled, etc.
 #873663  by mr. mick

Thanks for the information; next time I am in the train shop, I will look at the engines again, as I do not recall what wheel arrangement the locomotives were. I guess it makes sense to swap equipment to suit things such as you mentioned when necessary.

mr. mick