Railroad Forums 

• Boston & Albany Railroad history?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1069329  by richbowes1

Here's a picture of Tower 20 in Framingham with my grandfather, Thomas J Bowes, (known as Tommy or TJ) standing in front of it sometime circa 1920. It does't look much different than how it looked in the picture Pat Foley posted earlier.
 #1085450  by JBConn

I hope this is the best place to post this. I have searched and not found a better one.

The recent arrival of the new Conway Scenic GP9 in the New York Central-inspired Finger Lakes RR paint scheme had me wondering about the relevance of that scheme to New England. Apparently they plan to keep it in the gray and white lighting bolt with some sort of Conway Scenic lettering applied (this according to a trainman at CSRR weekend before last).

Looking for records and photos of B&A diesels, I found reference to (but no photos of) Alco high hoods in B&A lettering. All the other photos I could readily find from the 50's through mid 60's were of locomotives up to GP40s painted and lettered for New York Central.

My question, did B&A ever have a distinct diesel paint scheme, or did those (few?) diesel locomotives lettered B&A share the NYC paint scheme(s) of the time?

I'm just about old enough to remember those days, but I lived closer to Readville than the B&A mainline, and don't recall.

Thanks
 #1085495  by Backshophoss

Take a look at this book"New York Central's Later Power-1910-1968",
believe most if not all engines were painted/lettered the same way,but would have "sub-letters" under
the road number.
EXAMPLE, 8009,under the #"S would be a small "B&A",or "P&LE",etc.
 #1087528  by TomNelligan

My question, did B&A ever have a distinct diesel paint scheme, or did those (few?) diesel locomotives lettered B&A share the NYC paint scheme(s) of the time?
The only diesels lettered for the B&A were Alco HH600 switchers 674-684. They were painted basic black with BOSTON & ALBANY written out on the hood. Unlike the P&LE, there were no later model diesels with B&A sublettering.