Railroad Forums 

• Boonton Coach Dimensions?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#297306  by Benjamin Maggi

I am modeling Arcade and Attica Railroad (Ex-DL&W) Boonton coaches in 1:29 scale and want to know if there are any plans out there, or if anyone knows the dimensions for them. I have pictures of the prototype and if nothing else turns up I will measure the real thing, plans would be better. Has any magazine ever run blueprints of them? I heard a rumor that the June 1969 Railroad Model Craftsman has an article about them, and if so I will pick up a used copy on ebay, so can anyone check to see if that rumor is true?
Thanks!

RMC

#297423  by cwhowell2

Give them a call (888-526-5365). They are real friendly folks and may even have that back issue still around. I have it at home somewhere, but it would take me forever to find it.

Bill

#298668  by Benjamin Maggi

I just won it on ebay, so I hope it has what I want.

#305480  by HSSRAIL

According to Tabor's book The Delaware Lackawanna & Western Railroad in the Twentieth Century Vol 2 page 677 the Steel Open Platform Coach
has the following measurements

Length over Buffers 69 ft 4 1/4 inches
Width 9 ft 10 5/8 inches

Inside length 59 ft 9 3/4 inches
Inside width 8ft 11 3/8 inches

Length over end sills 60 ft 7 1/2 inches.

At Eaves Height 11 ft 2 inches
At Eaves Width 10 ft 1/2 inches

Height over jacks 14 ft 6 inches

rough estimate for clerestory roof 3 ft 4 inches high.

Wheel base 8 ft
Journals 5 ft 9 inches

rough estimate open platforms are 4 ft 8 inches long at each end enclosed coach is 60 ft.

bathroom is 4 ft 1 3/8 inches long by (estimate 3 ft 4 in wide)

I think the aisles on most suburban coaches are 2 ft 2 inches?

Now this is my preference but I am not inclined in my modeling projects to pay attention to things like 3/8 of an inch. If I was to build this car as a model in 3d Canvas Pro for use in microsoft train simulator or trainz I just might round the inside width to 9 ft make the aisle 2 ft 2 inches and the seats 3 ft 5 on each side. Is someone in a computer train sim going to notice 5/8 of an inch?