Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #143537  by Bucyrus6150

Does anyone know of any good books out there on PRR electrics?

#143664  by AlexC

Funnily enough, three books immediately come to mind.
Pennsy Electric Years Vols 1 & 2 by Bill Volkmer...
another on is Under Pennsy Wires... by Shuman?

I think Morning Sun publishes them all.

#143863  by walt

The two "Pennsy Power"( I and II ) books also come to mind. I don't have the name of the author here ( I'm at work), and these books may be out of print since they date from the 1960's, but each has a rather good section on Pennsy Electrics.

#143967  by the sarge

I think Al Stauffer wrote all three “Pennsy Power” books. Volumes 1 and III are still available, check out the book section at the Strasburg Railroad Shops. They had a copies a few months ago.

the sarge

#144259  by BaltOhio

All the books mentioned above are good, especially if you like just pictures. But the bible for anyone seriously interested in the story of PRR's electrification and the development of the motive power is Michael Bezilla's book "Electric Traction on the Pennsylvania Railroad, 1895-1968," published in 1980 by Penn State University Press. Doubtless it's now out of print, but should be fairly easily obtainable.

#144588  by JoeG

Around a year ago, I read Prof Bezilla's book, which I'd bought on Ebay. He's still a professor at Penn State, so I wrote him a letter. He wrote me back a long, thougtful answer.

#150431  by msernak

Karl Zimmermann's Remarkable GG1 is one of my favorites.

#150484  by AlexC

Pennsy Electric Years Vol 3 is coming out soon.
http://www.morningsunbooks.com/pennsycat.html#PEY3