Railroad Forums 

• Book(s) History of NYC

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1004949  by NYC_Dave

A good comprehensive history of all subsidiaries is The Road of the Century by Alvin F. Harlow, Creative Age Press, Inc., 1947.
A good one for the LS&MS is The Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway by Dave McLellan & Bill Warrick, Transportation Trails, 1989.
Both are probably out of print but can probably be found on eBay or Amazon.
 #1005001  by NYC_Dave

A more recent book covering the MC is The Michigan Central Railroad: History of the Main Line 1846-1901 by Nicholas Marsh, Private Printing 1907.
 #1018235  by Otto Vondrak

lake-shore-limited wrote:I grew up near the NYC main now operated by CSX in Erie and interested in purchasing a book of the history of the NYC, which would you recommend?
Start easy: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mbi/mbi144344.htm "New York Central Railroad" by Brian Solomon and Mike Schafer

-otto-
 #1024655  by wjstix

I'd second the Solomon and Schaffer book. Interestingly there are two versions, both have the same text but with different pictures. Apparenlty after the book first came out in the late nineties, a lot more photos became available so the more recent issue has more pictures, especially more "old time" photos. I ended up getting both!!