Railroad Forums 

• Book Review: Jim Shaughnessy

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#588230  by railohio

It may be of interest, but apparently it isn't. That's a real shame. I can't wait to get my hands on it. There's a lot can be learned from Boyd, Shaughnessy, Steinheimer, etc. for the members here, too.
 #588348  by Otto Vondrak

railohio wrote:It may be of interest, but apparently it isn't. That's a real shame.
I'm a big fan of learning from the people that preceded me... doesn't mean that I like every single thing I see from Plowden, Shaughnessy, Stein... but I certainly take notice. I think it's safe to say that I've been enthusiastic about Shaughnessy's work for some time, so it was a real thrill to preview this book and to talk to the man for the interview. I find it quite interesting to learn that a real, down-to-earth man is responsible for all of these iconic images...
Oh, and back to my point about context and creativity, you don’t need to be from the “Elvis Generation” to appreciate good photography. What’s more, you can have an appreciation for remixed industrial rock and still share a passion with someone who does not. The link from one generation to the next is not broken. Do not shy away from this book just because you think, “Jim’s only an Eastern photographer,” or “Shaughnessy only took steam engine pictures,” or “Most of his shots were staged.” Contained in this book are clear, sharp photos that capture a moment in time with the observer as the central subject. You will return to this book again and again, never seeing the same thing twice. It is a spectacular album and an overdue tribute to a photographer that has not sought the limelight, yet deserves it all the same.
-=otto-
 #590853  by Otto Vondrak

So I thought my Nine Inch Nails/Jim Shaughnessy comparison was a little out there... not anymore. The new Shaughnessy book has been featured in WIRED Magazine, the journal of the "internet age."

http://www.wired.com/culture/art/multim ... ery_trains

-otto-