Railroad Forums 

• BOOK: New York Central Facilities

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#844065  by charlie6017

I have this book by Geoffrey Doughty and enjoy it very much--I also have several of the other "Facilities" books by Morning Sun as well, which leads me to wonder....why isn't there a series of these books on the NYC facilities, much like there is on PRR? I think they will be up to TEN as of 9/1/10.

Just makes me wonder how one book would be sufficient for the Central....

BTW, this is not meant to be a knock on Morning Sun Books in any way whatsoever--just wondering what others think on this.

**Side note**--I am also looking for a book with good info and photos on the NYC "Canada Southern". Trackside around the Niagara Peninsula comes to mind. Any others?

Thanks!
Charlie
 #844962  by Noel Weaver

A single topic book on a single railroad might not be a good seller and they might be reluctant to expand on the subject.
Noel Weaver
 #845353  by Otto Vondrak

Noel Weaver wrote:A single topic book on a single railroad might not be a good seller and they might be reluctant to expand on the subject.
Noel Weaver
Quite the contrary, single-subject books are good sellers. Part of the problem is that NYC fans are disorganized (not like the PRRHTS guys) and there's no real push to publish. For that reason, most collections of NYC photos have gone unidentified or lost. Bucking that trend, Rich Stoving has been doing a great job getting his archive of of negatives into print with his series published by TRP.
charlie6017 wrote:**Side note**--I am also looking for a book with good info and photos on the NYC "Canada Southern". Trackside around the Niagara Peninsula comes to mind. Any others?
Not a book, but you know the Canada Southern web site, right? http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/home.htm

There's also "The New York Central in Canada: Southern Ontario Lines (Vol. 1)" by Douglas N. W. Smith

also "New York Central's Canadian Streamliners" by the same author

Hope this helps!

-otto-
 #845449  by NYC_Dave

I just received the latest NYCSHS magazine which contains a book review of New York Central Railroad Stations & Structures Pictorial Vol. 1: The River Division, Jersey City - Weehawken by Benjamin L Bernhart . Additional volumes planned are River Division to Albany, branches off the River Division, the West Shore to Buffalo, the Pennsylvania Division, and the NYC mainline across New York State.

There is also the older book New York Central Stations and Terminals by Geoffrey Doughty , TLC Publishing.
 #845758  by Otto Vondrak

I also picked up this book, forgot all about it!

The author has pretty extensive set of valuation photographs that he intends to publish over the next few years, so keep your eyes open.

-otto-
 #845830  by Clif

... the Pennsylvania Division, ....

Well, at last I will have a reference book for the PA Div. The one div which very little photographic evidence exists, (especially Corning NY) at least online and in book form till now. Having been born in Corning and wanting to build a layout based on it, I have been searching for good photographic evidence. Almost none exists for the NYC, especially the Baker Street yard, the main yard and roundhouse location (div point) after the early 1900s until Conrail tore out everything and moved the yard ops to Gangmills the newer Erie facilities (after the Erie relocated in 1953)

Also very little photographic exists of the NYC passenger/freight station which was on Pine Street.

I am trying to model the 1939-40 era, just before WW2 ( I want to include the 2-6-6-2's the NYC used on this division), I have 3 NJ imports brass models of this prototype.

The Clyde Baker photos of the south side yards of the Erie (which also shows the NYC yards I remember as a kid) give me most of what I need for that area,

http://www.jon-n-bevliles.net/RAILROAD/corning.html

however except for a panoramic 1915 photo and one builders photo of the coaling tower, nothing existed before now.

Also I have mid 1930's Sanborn maps of corning to base a track plan on, from the same website I found the Baker photos on.

http://www.jon-n-bevliles.net/RAILROAD/corning.html

With the hopefully upcoming PA Div facilities book I could scratch-build accurate models of the buildings of the area.