Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #894213  by scottychaos

So I got a few Barnes & Noble gift cards for Christmas..which means only one thing..
New train books! Image

Im a big fan of the Alvin Staufer books, I already have "Erie Power", "B&O Power" and two of his New York Central Power books..
So I go onto BN.com to look up books..they have a system (as does Amazon) to search independent bookstores, to find used books,
and you can order them from the Barnes & noble website, (and use the gift cards)
So I find a nice copy of "Pennsy Power" (the first volume)..Published in 1962, nice hardcover, good condition, original jacket, reasonable price ($40)

So I order it, and the book arrives:

And I notice on the inside flap is one of those "This book belongs to" stickers..which I actually think are cool..
you get a sense of the book's history before it came to you..
This book was previously owned by a Mr. F. Joseph Swift of London, Ontario, Canada:

But above that sticker is ANOTHER even more interesting sticker! Image

I think my book originally belonged to the Pennsylvania Railroad!! Image Image Image
which is remarkably cool..
I googled the library, and came up with this:
Mar. 20, 1972 Philadelphia auctioneers Samuel T. Freeman & Co. begin three day
auction of former PRR General Office Library and
memorabilia collection in 30th Street Station; items sold include
some models from 1893 World's Columbian Exposition;
Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission is among biggest
purchasers; ex-Pres. Walter S. Franklin attends; auction raises
$114,360, well under Trustees' projection of $250-500,000. (PC
Post, NYT)
source: http://www.prrths.com/Hagley/PRR1972%20Jun%2005.pdf

So it seems likely my book was originally owned by the PRR library from 1962-1972,
was then sold at that PRR auction in Philly in 1972, was then owned by Mr. Swift of Ontario,
and I am now likely the 3rd owner..Image

has anyone ever seen a PRR "library" sticker like this before?
thanks,
Scot
 #894475  by scottychaos

JimBoylan wrote:Since Broad St. Station in Philadelphia, Pa. was torn down about 10 years before the 1962 printing date you assign to this book, I am suspicious of any authentic use of the rubber stamp impression.
hmmm..interesting..
I suppose it might not be legit!
but it certaintly looks it..
and the auction date and location also seems to corroborate the story..
(its not a rubber stamp, its a paper sticker..pasted or somehow "stuck" on.)

I know for a fact the book was first printed in 1962..so thats definately a fact.
hmm..I will have to dig into this some more!
thanks,
Scot
 #1010503  by JimBoylan

I just found my 1975 "Penn Central Souvenirs '75 Railroad Collectors Catalog", Room 1040, Six Penn Center Plaza, Philadelphia, Pa. 19104. Make check or money order payable to Penn Central Transportation Company. How did you hear about this catalog? One choice to check is "Penn Central Post", so there must have been ads or notices in that official publication.

"Pennsylvania Railroad, General Office Library, Broad Street Station Building, Philadelphia, Pa. "PRR Bookplate" 50 cents!

The catalog illustration matches the opening post. It doesn't say if it is old PRR stock, or a later reprint. The same catalog also offers original C.T.100 List of Stations & Sidings and brand new Adams & Westlake kerosine lanterns, which might be stamped "PC".