Railroad Forums 

• Boca Raton Station

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1617089  by RandallW

It is well known in academic economics that "free parking" is always heavily subsidized (or mandated by pro-car/anti-transit governments), and that if parking were priced by the market, people who park would be billed appropriately; there would be more public transit and Lyft/Taxi/Uber use; and cities would be less congested (some studies have shown that in European cities, more than 50% of driving at certain times of day is people in the vicinity of their destination searching for parking).
 #1617129  by Jeff Smith

That are extremely hard to come by including in residential areas. They are nonexistent in midtown. Garage spots can cost several hundred dollars per month. I lived there.
 #1617138  by Gilbert B Norman

Additionally. Brightline offers golf cart "surreys" (with the fringe on the top :P ) that operate within Miami and Boca (I'd guess the other two as well) that shuttle passengers to the stations (my hotel, Hilton Suites, six miles away,, was too far).

Really, even if I doubt they will "make it" in the private sector, they are really doing "heads up marketing" to sell their product - transportation.
 #1617151  by daybeers

Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:53 pm That are extremely hard to come by including in residential areas. They are nonexistent in midtown. Garage spots can cost several hundred dollars per month. I lived there.
*shrug* idk what you want me to say, parking takes up extremely valuable land and turns it into useless and dangerous land that could otherwise be used by everyone.
 #1617157  by Gilbert B Norman

Volks, again "where's the beef" with $7.00 parking?

The garage is covered and secure, and obtaining the parking is simply part of purchasing your ticket. Again, after clicking a box that you want parking, you record your tag number and you're good to go. If the parking was not offered, I probably would have not used Brightline for the two "transportation to there and back" journeys from Boca I made last week. My "Lady Lex" (save once for a funeral wake) doesn't know what it is to be left on the street.

Naturally, my friend with "Bessie" (10+yo Chrysler minivan with 225K on the clock; "she's had a rough life". His wife has a 3yo Honda Accord with maybe 45K) would be driving around looking for the gutter, but save him (an HS educator) who can gripe about $7 for 24 hrs of secured parking?

Especially in Brightline's present service area that is "swimming in loot" second only to MNR's New Haven Line.