Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#554923  by OportRailfan

I am one of "those people"...

I wait for a train where I can set myself up right in front of the one of first car's doors, based on the conductor's 777 red stripe on the platform.

In fact, today going to Hoboken, I wanted to try something new, so I took the NWK->WTC train to Exchange Place and got off.

Another NWK->WTC train came behind me...and as I was waiting the security guard from FJC(I guess PA's security company throughout all of their locations) came down from the end of the NY end of the platform, and asked where I was going. I answered I was going to Hoboken, and he said to go to the other side for that train...I said I know, and wanted to ride the train through the WTC loop...which I kinda did, I was in no rush, got on the HOB->WTC Train, and wanted to get the railfan seat in WTC when everyone got off...

On a side note, I guess everyone who likes sitting in the railfan seat should enjoy it now, being that it looks like they are doing away with it on the PA-5's. They now have the big "P" PATH logo covering up the window
 #626356  by Tommy Meehan

Has anyone ever noticed this?

On weekends I frequently board 33 St trains at Grove Street. Now it's a well known fact that many 33 St riders prefer to ride in the front car. Makes getting off at 33d St a lot easier and faster. Sometimes the head cars are SRO before you even leave Journal Square.

The thing is, at night or on weekends, the head car at Journal Square or Grove Street becomes the rear car by the time you reach 33d St because they make the loop through Hoboken which reverses the train.

Yet many riders never seem to realize this. On weekends the last cars on 33 St trains at Grove Street are often semi-deserted. while the head car is jam packed. Then, upon arrival at Hoboken, all the Type As in the 'head car' suddenly find themselves in the rear car. Haha. :-)

They have to fight an entire trainload of people at 33d St to exit. But they never seem to remember this the next time they ride.

Hey it works for me.
 #626993  by umtrr-author

When commuting, I would prefer the front of the train going to 33rd and the middle for WTC; of course if I could be up front I would.

Now that I'm just another annoying tourist with an eight year old who likes to see where the train is going, right up front is a must! :-D Fortunately, that is nearly always at non-peak hours when there is a possibility that this will occur.

Off-topic, it is still very strange coming into daylight before arriving at WTC. My understanding is that this won't last too much longer?
 #627076  by Tommy Meehan

Well I'll always make way for someone with a child who wants to ride at the railfan window. Even if they appear to be annoying tourists. :-)

Btw, from what I read on the wirednewyork forum (many Manhattan realtors there) the entire WTC project is becoming mired in politics and developer infighting and, with the financial meltdown that has hammered Downtown, it may be a while yet before the tracks at WTC get covered over. But maybe not.

Another boarding question-

At 33d St upon arrival. Do you get off on the 'exit-only' side or wait a few seconds until the conductor opens the opposite side doors and get out that way? (Less crowded but you're bucking people getting on.)
 #634786  by Idiot Railfan

Tommy Meehan wrote:Well I'll always make way for someone with a child who wants to ride at the railfan window. Even if they appear to be annoying tourists. :-)
When I bring one of my kids to work with me I always jockey our way to the Railfan Seat, which makes me a tourist for the day. Frequently people have offered to move from the seat or the door to let my son look out, which I very much appreciate.

Tommy Meehan wrote:Btw, from what I read on the wirednewyork forum (many Manhattan realtors there) the entire WTC project is becoming mired in politics and developer infighting and, with the financial meltdown that has hammered Downtown, it may be a while yet before the tracks at WTC get covered over. But maybe not.
Actually, since the ramp was dismantled last month, construction in the pit has been progressing at a very fast rate!
 #760255  by TREnecNYP

People are lemmings.

If i'm not in a hurry i'll wait at newark for the buildup of people (sometimes large of there's a bridge opening or other issue) to go then grab the rfw seat PA5 i just get in and sit down. Otherwise i sardine in, if it's too crowded i wait. If i'm in a huge hurry all the stops come out. :wink:

- A