Railroad Forums 

• BNSF/ UP hour glass

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1273456  by NOinertia

4 weeks or so have passed since I applied for conductor and train crew spots. I understand that 2 to 8 weeks are the length of hiring phases. I have passed both pre-employment on-line assessments and the jobs have since closed. My application status reads 'we are reviewing your application'. I should hear ye or na at a minimum, right? Are there any new hires or veterans with these two rr's that can comment? Thanks to all of you
 #1273634  by ljpierce1965

I can't speak for UP but for BNSF it sometimes takes a few weeks (and longer sometimes) for them to cull through the applications. What their criteria are and what they look for is as diverse as to how many areas they hire for and how many people apply.

Apply for Minot or a few other areas in Eastern Montana, and you would probably hear fairly quickly. Apply for other areas and the only thing you may get will be a thanks but no thanks.

Once you do hear from the HR gurus, it will be in the form of an invitation to a Hiring Event. You MUST attend that and it's sort of an orientation and job interview, along with your first drug test. A hair follicle type of test.

Pass that and it goes to medical as well as background checks.

Pass those and you should then get your final paperwork that must be completed within a certain timeframe. Usually 24 to 48 hours.

After that, it's the waiting for your start date to begin the training.

The above description is NOT meant as an exhaustive list or even a complete one. There might be other things they want you to complete. But once it's done and you start training, it makes all the work required to GET the job, worth it.

Good luck.
 #1273706  by trvr815

The above is correct. All the RRs need guys in SD, ND, Montana, ect. However with the BN you will be in a closed district. Same with all of UP - all closed.

Understand that hundred of people apply and pass the test. My advice, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Keep applying and maybe numerous RRs.

Good luck
 #1274376  by NOinertia

ljpierce1965 wrote:I can't speak for UP but for BNSF it sometimes takes a few weeks (and longer sometimes) for them to cull through the applications. What their criteria are and what they look for is as diverse as to how many areas they hire for and how many people apply.

Apply for Minot or a few other areas in Eastern Montana, and you would probably hear fairly quickly. Apply for other areas and the only thing you may get will be a thanks but no thanks.

Once you do hear from the HR gurus, it will be in the form of an invitation to a Hiring Event. You MUST attend that and it's sort of an orientation and job interview, along with your first drug test. A hair follicle type of test.

Pass that and it goes to medical as well as background checks.

Pass those and you should then get your final paperwork that must be completed within a certain timeframe. Usually 24 to 48 hours.

After that, it's the waiting for your start date to begin the training.

The above description is NOT meant as an exhaustive list or even a complete one. There might be other things they want you to complete. But once it's done and you start training, it makes all the work required to GET the job, worth it.

Good luck.
Thanks for your response. Much appreciated.
 #1275333  by ljpierce1965

Apply for every area you would like to work in. I did. I was asked to 4 hiring events. One each in Minot, Glasgow Montana, Miles City Montana (for the Glendive positions), and Havre Montana. I picked Minot since this is the center of activity for the Bakken Oil Patch and just about everything BNSF sends TO or takes FROM the Bakken, goes through here.

Therefore, the possibilities of being laid off or furloughed are slim to none, at least for the next decade or more. By that time, I'm sure there will be plenty of old timers retiring and making room for us youngsters to move up the seniority ladder.

Don't limit yourself to one railroad though. BNSF, UP, CSX, and NS all have regular openings. It all depends on where you want to live and work. Also, each railroad seems to have a different reputation on how they treat their employees and I am not about to open that discussion here. I will say that I'm quite happy where I'm at and although I'm still in training, I am looking forward to a long career with BNSF here in Minot. I have no plans to move anywhere else.

As a previous poster stated, BNSF is really hiring crazy up here in North Dakota and Montana. If you really want to have a chance to get on, you probably should look at applying for a position in Minot and other areas surrounding it.

In any event, good luck.
 #1276274  by NOinertia

ljpierce1965 wrote:Apply for every area you would like to work in. I did. I was asked to 4 hiring events. One each in Minot, Glasgow Montana, Miles City Montana (for the Glendive positions), and Havre Montana. I picked Minot since this is the center of activity for the Bakken Oil Patch and just about everything BNSF sends TO or takes FROM the Bakken, goes through here.

Therefore, the possibilities of being laid off or furloughed are slim to none, at least for the next decade or more. By that time, I'm sure there will be plenty of old timers retiring and making room for us youngsters to move up the seniority ladder.

Don't limit yourself to one railroad though. BNSF, UP, CSX, and NS all have regular openings. It all depends on where you want to live and work. Also, each railroad seems to have a different reputation on how they treat their employees and I am not about to open that discussion here. I will say that I'm quite happy where I'm at and although I'm still in training, I am looking forward to a long career with BNSF here in Minot. I have no plans to move anywhere else.

As a previous poster stated, BNSF is really hiring crazy up here in North Dakota and Montana. If you really want to have a chance to get on, you probably should look at applying for a position in Minot and other areas surrounding it.

In any event, good luck.
TV

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.