Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Train Symbols: Gulf D / Houston SD

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#1188337  by BEDT 14

Greetings from Texas!

I am in Flynn TX, railfanning the BNSF Gulf Division / Houston Subdivision.

I found some references online regarding train symbols and coding (i.e.: M-TEAHOU: A mixed freight from Teague to Houston). Ok, simple enough, and I printed them out.

Now after listening in on several trains on the scanner, the issue is the crews are referring to their trains by the lead loco number (i.e.: "BNSF 5515, approach, 169.4). This applies to everything: through freights, locals, lite engines, etc. Even with the dispatcher issuing a track warrant, the reference is to loco number.

With this being that case, how can I know exactly which train I am looking at?

All the best and thanks in advance for your help!

Phil
 #1189249  by Backshophoss

The only time you will hear train symbols will be near a yard,when a crew calls the DS for premission to change the GTB's
adress to the current lead unit's # from "unknown" or after a dead lead unit is removed from the consist.
When the train starts it's run, the lead unit's # is used by GCOR rule until it reaches it's final terminal.

Typical exchange on radio,
BNSF 1801 to NMRX DS,would like to change GTB #xxxxx to read BNSF 1801,we're YABQ 101job,over
NMRX DS to BNSF 1801,You have permission to change GTB #xxxxx to now read BNSF 1801 from unknown,over
BNSF 1801 has permission to change GTB #xxxxx to now read as BNSF 1801,over
(NMRX DS Reply)That is correct,out.

Sometimes after a shift change at Ft Worth a DS might call out : BNSF DS-111 to BNSF 5515 west, TEAHOU

THE above are ONLY examples.
 #1189313  by BEDT 14

BSH,

Thanks!

I have to say, I've never experienced anything quite the way it works here on the Houston Sub: Aspects not called, defect detectors not answered. I paced 6823 today, all the way from Flynn MP 168.4 to TMPA MP139.4. Stayed right along side the locomotive at 30-40 miles per hour. I know I have the correct freq because when a train is in the siding either waiting for another to pass or after dropping off cars do I hear the crews calling into the dsp for a track warrant.

Either way, thanks again!

Phil