Railroad Forums 

• BNSF silver / red livery

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1089782  by CPSK

Hi;
Yesterday at around noon I saw the northbound ethanol train on the CSX River sub at Teaneck NJ with two BNSF locos; the lead one was the old silver & red livery, and the trailing loco was the more common orange. I don't recall seeing the silver/red anytime over the past five years. I didn't get the running # on the loco, so I'm looking for someone else who might have got a closer look at it maybe fill that in. Not that I keep a roster, but I think a lot of you guys here would be interested to know the # on the loco. I am curious on how many of the old paint BNSF still has, or whether the old paint is maintained on specific few of the locos.

CP
 #1090066  by charlie6017

Those are just a few leftover "Warbonnets" from when the Sante Fe owned them prior to the Burlington Northern merged
with the Santa Fe. I doubt there are many left...........so I think ya got lucky! :-)

Charlie
 #1090350  by CPSK

ChessieDave wrote:Going up to bear Mountain with my wife and son tom. Does anyone know if that Warbonnet is still there? Would be a hell of a catch
I doubt it. It was the ethanol train (not sure what the Q # is) returning to Chicago with empties from the NJ "chemical coast".
It's always my luck that I don't have my camera when I see rare trains.
The ethanol trains are probably your best bet to see foreign power on the CSX River sub. They're usually either BNSF or UP, if not just the usual CSX locos. Other times I have seen leased locos on that train.

I wonder whether this could be the same loco I saw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l37_v1R_LzY
CP
 #1093931  by CPSK

Hey, I'm getting lucky!
Today while running at Votee Park in Teaneck (again no camera), I saw a SB Ethanol train with CSX at the point, old red CP and an Iowa Chicago & Eastern with blue/yellow paint. How rare are the IC&E? First time I've ever seen one.
Too bad I can't carry a decent camera while I run at the park. I've lost several good photo ops.

CP
 #1093959  by charlie6017

I don't *think* the IC&E power is on the ethanol trains as much as they were, but for quite awhile they were. Evidently, they still
do run-thru with that power and sometimes they have even led. Think they run with "K" pre-fix symbols.

Keep your eyes peeled and you'll probably see more.

Charlie
 #1094320  by CPSK

I guess the IC&E locos aren't so rare after all. I saw two more of them on the southbound K train this morning on CSX River sub in Teaneck NJ at about 11:30am.
This time, they were the sole power. Beautiful day, but no camera. I often run at Votee Park on the bike path, so I get to see (but not photograph) the trains. I'm sure though, that if I were to plant myself with camera and tripod along the line, nothing special would come by.

CP
 #1095182  by sd80mac

CPSK wrote:I guess the IC&E locos aren't so rare after all. I saw two more of them on the southbound K train this morning on CSX River sub in Teaneck NJ at about 11:30am.
This time, they were the sole power. Beautiful day, but no camera. I often run at Votee Park on the bike path, so I get to see (but not photograph) the trains. I'm sure though, that if I were to plant myself with camera and tripod along the line, nothing special would come by.

CP

DME have been running to Selkirk for last 3-4 years with ethonal train, especially to Albany Port.