Railroad Forums 

• BNSF power on NS train last night

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#72073  by kpiersol

I think that I may have caught up to the "ex-BN leased unit" (HLCX 7201) navigating up and down the CSX over the past few days. Then again, it could be another one. Taken about 1:30 PM going NB - the rain broke enough for me to get a fairly decent shot.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=67949

Kim Piersol

#72164  by CNJFAN

Saw More BNSF power with NS Sunday morning at Bound Brook in the blowing rain.
It was an intermodal train.
I have been seeing it almost on a regular basis lately.

#72184  by nick11a

Just curious- what time Sunday Morning? I've been wanting to get to Bound Brook for a while now. Thanks!

#72209  by CNJFAN

I usually arrive there around 7:30 am and stay until 10.
Around 7:30, you will see 21m which sometimes has as many as 8 locomotives on one train.
I love all of that roaring power.
There is usually at least 2 of us there.
Sometimes more.
Come join us!

#72216  by OCtrainguy

Typically, I go on Saturdays up to the Lehigh Line. I usually get there around seven o'clock in the morning and stay until noon. I did go to South Plainfield three Sundays ago. I was there from 7:00-9:30 in the morning and didn't see anything. I did see an eastbound intermodal with a PRR SD50 leading a red/silver BNSF engine at Westfield around 10:30.
Last edited by OCtrainguy on Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#72230  by CNJFAN

It's true that some Sunday's can be rather uneventful, but 2 Sundays ago there were 9 trains between 7:30 Am and 10:00 Am, not counting NJT, so it does vary.
There have also been Sunday's that had only 1 train but lately, it has been rather busy.
Yesterday I saw only 2 because the rain and the wind became overwhelming so I left.

#72240  by OCtrainguy

I was hoping to go out yesterday, but considering how the the weather was, I didn't go out. Hoping for better weather on Saturday!

#72276  by kpiersol

It must have been 21m that I caught at Neshanic Station the other Friday at around 9:30 AM with 7 locomotives?? The 6th one was CSX:

http://kpiersol2.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... x?id=59412

Where is a good place for photos in South Plainfield? Does it become double track there??

Kim Piersol

#72279  by njt4172

kpiersol wrote:It must have been 21m that I caught at Neshanic Station the other Friday at around 9:30 AM with 7 locomotives?? The 5th one was CSX:

http://kpiersol2.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... x?id=59412

Where is a good place for photos in South Plainfield? Does it become double track there??

Kim Piersol
Kim,

Nice lashup!! You caught one of the hottest trains that come out of NJ...

In answer to your question a good place to sit in South Plainfield is on Front Street by the South Plainfield Diner or across the street by the steel warehouse with the siding...I forgot the name of the business so I can't give you that, but I know the local MA-1 serves it quite frequently. Another cool spot to sit is in Piscataway off of New Market Road near a breakfast and lunch eatery. It is by New Market pond. There is a gravel driveway and nobody has ever bothered me there. Someone else on this forum can hopefully help you with the names of the establishments...

I hope I was of some help.

Steve

#72283  by trainfreak

Hey forum. I just for people looking up information on Lehigh Line action and locations a while ago i asked about that and ended up starting a 6 page topic on the Lehigh Line. This is the link and i hope it helps. http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=431 And Kim congratulations on getting editors pick at rrpicturearchives.net! I actually got my first editors pick this past saturday with a shot of the NYSW SU99 in Warwick, NY. Have a good day everyone.

#72401  by nick11a

CNJFAN wrote:It's true that some Sunday's can be rather uneventful, but 2 Sundays ago there were 9 trains between 7:30 Am and 10:00 Am, not counting NJT, so it does vary.
There have also been Sunday's that had only 1 train but lately, it has been rather busy.
Yesterday I saw only 2 because the rain and the wind became overwhelming so I left.
I will definitely make the attemp- just won't be able to do it anytime soon. I'll probably get there in May after school is out. I'm off for winter break but I don't plan on getting out there 7:30 in the morning when the weather is 0 degrees! I jog sometimes at 5 in the morning during winter break but running around is completely different than standing still in the cold!! Haha. Thanks for the invite and hopefully will bump into you when I get there!

Nick

#72463  by OCtrainguy

Speaking of cold weather, it reminds me of an extremely cold January 2004 morning I spent at South Plainfield. Temperatures stayed in the single digits and I think the highest temperature while I was there was six degrees. The rail acitivity was pretty good though.

http://octrainguy.com/LehighLine-jan04.html

#72466  by kpiersol

OCtrainguy: Those are GREAT shots in South Plainfield - where exactly is that crossing??

Nothing like a warm car in the middle of January!!

#72517  by OCtrainguy

kpiersol wrote:OCtrainguy: Those are GREAT shots in South Plainfield - where exactly is that crossing??

Nothing like a warm car in the middle of January!!
Kim, thanks for the compliment. I actually didn't really use the heat that day. I just layered myself and made a couple of trips to the diner for some hot chocolate! That grade crossing you see is the Front Street crossing where Metuchen Road meets Front Street. I access Metuchen Road from Belmont Avenue as I come off Route 287.

#72723  by nick11a

OCtrainguy wrote:Speaking of cold weather, it reminds me of an extremely cold January 2004 morning I spent at South Plainfield. Temperatures stayed in the single digits and I think the highest temperature while I was there was six degrees. The rail acitivity was pretty good though.

http://octrainguy.com/LehighLine-jan04.html

Geez OC! One of the CSX engine's numbers is 666 in that page! Freaky man! Anything bad happen to you after that? :wink: