Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Maintenance of Way Welder Work Schedule

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1062046  by SaggyBalls

Could anyone give me an idea of the type of work schedule I can expect as a Welder for BNSF? I received the offer, got through the
background check, physicals, medicals, drug test, etc., etc. The people within the company I've spoken with have said I would be
traveling and that it's a Mon-Fri gig. This doesn't make sense to me. I have railroad experience as a Signalman and we worked an
8on-6off schedule, or some variation of that. How can I travel and work Mon-Fri? My travel days would be my days off. Thanks in
advance for the info.
 #1062524  by COEN77

Not sure of BNSF. CSX traveling gangs work 4/10+ per week. If it's a regular MOW gang that could mean traveling locally to cover a couple hundred miles of territory that's a different matter they do work mon-fri. They start and finish at same location. A friend of mine she transferred out of T&E into the CSX signal dept last year they work 8 on 6 off.
 #1062877  by Freddy

COEN77 wrote:Not sure of BNSF. CSX traveling gangs work 4/10+ per week. If it's a regular MOW gang that could mean traveling locally to cover a couple hundred miles of territory that's a different matter they do work mon-fri. They start and finish at same location. A friend of mine she transferred out of T&E into the CSX signal dept last year they work 8 on 6 off.
Former L&N Signal Gangs do the 8 and 6. Former SCL Signal Gangs work 4 on, 3 off. Just for info.
 #1062879  by Freddy

SaggyBalls wrote:Could anyone give me an idea of the type of work schedule I can expect as a Welder for BNSF? I received the offer, got through the
background check, physicals, medicals, drug test, etc., etc. The people within the company I've spoken with have said I would be
traveling and that it's a Mon-Fri gig. This doesn't make sense to me. I have railroad experience as a Signalman and we worked an
8on-6off schedule, or some variation of that. How can I travel and work Mon-Fri? My travel days would be my days off. Thanks in
advance for the info.
It didn't give a headquarters point? or did it say 'Line of Road'?
 #1064347  by SaggyBalls

Freddy wrote:
SaggyBalls wrote:Could anyone give me an idea of the type of work schedule I can expect as a Welder for BNSF? I received the offer, got through the
advance for the info.
It didn't give a headquarters point? or did it say 'Line of Road'?
The job listing had a major city, yes, but during the hiring session they said some of us would travel and some might get local jobs.
I was just wondering what type of schedule the traveling jobs followed. As I said in my initial post, they made it sound like even
the traveling jobs would be Mon-Fri.