Railroad Forums 

• Bnsf interview

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1262189  by Ryno91

Hey guys I’m new here I went to a interview for a conductor position and the job posted said 12 an at the interview they said 4 for this class and the next class will be 18. Not even 2 hours after they finished interviews I got a email stating I was a alternate is this good? They really seemed to like my interview.
 #1262217  by mdr406

This is neutral. Simply put, they picked somebody else for the job However, in the event that the job offer is rejected, it will be offered to you.

You are their back-up plan, their plan-B.
 #1262259  by Ryno91

Or I should say the people that got alternate would be in the next class. I was just curious if being a alternate was a good thing
 #1262345  by militaryhorn

I had a similar situation happen to me. I went to the interview and they said that there were 2 openings for the Feb class and the rest of the openings (15) would be for April. The HR person tolds us at the interview that if we are selected for the April class then we would receive an email stating we were selected as an alternate. Well, the next day I got an email stating I was an alternate, like you. A few weeks pass and I called about that April class because I hadn't heard anything in a while. That class got moved to June and that I should wait because the application stays active for 6 months. They posted another job advertisement in March for my location, so I naturally thought I was good to go since I already have an alternate selection.

Turns out I was right. I got my conditional offer on Friday, 4 April 2014, and I am starting the pre-screening process today.

This was for a conductor's position in San Antonio, TX
 #1262360  by Ryno91

Cool thanks! I just get worried everyday that I don't hear something that 6 months inches closer lol. I've just want this job really bad it's been my lifetime goal to become a conductor and eventually a engineer
 #1262740  by trvr815

Alternate is not neutral it is good. I was an alternate for BNSF and got the call a few weeks ago however, I turned it down. I am also an alternate for the CN currently. I obviously wouldn't have turned down the offer from the BN if I didn't think an alternate is a hot ticket.
Good luck and be patient.
 #1262748  by Ryno91

Thanks! I heard it's great and a good shot I've heard of a lot of guys that were alternates that got the call just have to be patient which I am trying to be lol. How come u turned the offer down from Bn man
 #1262758  by trvr815

I'm at UP now. I am partial to CN. The locations right for me as well. You can't go wrong with either. They are the 2 best class 1's to work for.
 #1262823  by Ryno91

Right on thanks man. I'm just trying to be patient a guy in this division said he hasn't met a alternate that wasn't hired.
 #1263576  by tellem

I wouldn't worry about it. When I first interviewed I was also told I was going to be a alternate to find out I was to get my conditional job offer the following day :)

They still want you, which is a good thing. Its just they didn't have enough room to hire you at that moment. I wouldn't like at it at being neutral.

anyways congrats. you made it further than most!
 #1264092  by Ryno91

Going to vision and hearing test next week already started background waiting on them to schedule my physical capabilities test
 #1264171  by Ryno91

Yeah thanks man and good luck to you! There really pushing me threw the process quick. The lady scheduling my vision test had to get me as a walking because she didn't have a opening for 3 weeks and didn't have that long she said
 #1264301  by militaryhorn

I finished all my appointments on Wednesday and from the time that I got the conditional offer from BNSF it took a week and half to complete my end of it.

Today I got the email clearing me medically. Not sure what the rest of the process is or when I will get the final offer but I feel confident I will get the job.
 #1264391  by ljpierce1965

militaryhorn wrote:Today I got the email clearing me medically. Not sure what the rest of the process is or when I will get the final offer but I feel confident I will get the job.
Presuming you pass your background, you should get your final offer 2-3 weeks before the expected start date.

Good luck. I'm going through the Conductor training up here in Minot. Some parts can be pretty rough but as long as you pay attention and study, you should do fine.