Railroad Forums 

• BNSF interchange location help

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#1222268  by Dewoc19

Im in need of some help finding out exactly where the BNSF interchanges with CSX in Chicago, looking for a town, closest street location, anything will be helpful
 #1222342  by doepack

The vast majority of CSX-BNSF interchange traffic happens at either Belt Railway's Clearing yard on the southwest side of Chicago, or at Cicero yard on BNSF's Chicago Sub (aka the "racetrack"). The joint CSX/BOCT (fomer PRR main line into Chicago) line connects with BNSF's Chicago sub just west of Western Ave., and is used mostly by transfers heading to/from Cicero, although some bulk traffic (coal, ethanol, grain, etc.) will run through occasionally as well...
 #1222478  by doepack

Perhaps, but not regularly I don't believe. The one example that comes to mind is NS also uses the CSX/BOCT route along the Western Ave corridor (aka the Blue Island Sub) between Ashland Ave. yard on the south and UP's Global One facility to the north. This is probably one of the few exceptions, I doubt that any other CSX-BNSF interchange traffic is routed on lines owned & operated by NS, though there could very well be trackage rights agreements for NS in some areas...
 #1222501  by Dewoc19

Yeah I forgot all about that CSX connection right there, should have known since I go by there frequently enough, thanks for the help and the obvious reminder to me