Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#857055  by jz441

shawnd71 wrote:so if i get hired on i will have some guaranteed income as long as i dont get furlouged?

Correct!
shawnd71 wrote:does it seem strange that they are hiring 6 to 10 people for one location?
No! Beaumont is not a big terminal... You are over analyzing things... :wink:
 #857137  by shawnd71

jz441 wrote:
shawnd71 wrote:so if i get hired on i will have some guaranteed income as long as i dont get furlouged?

Correct!
shawnd71 wrote:does it seem strange that they are hiring 6 to 10 people for one location?
No! Beaumont is not a big terminal... You are over analyzing things... :wink:

i might be over analyzing it but just trying to gather as much info as i can and get a feel for what will take place
 #864441  by newhire4sure

what is training like for an intermodal equipment operator, and how long does it take to apply for a condcutor position? Thanks
 #864546  by jz441

shawnd71 wrote:i have recently applied and have gone thru the interview portion and waiting on my next step. i have a few questions that i would like to ask someone who has experience working for BNSF. what could i expect to make first starting out? what is the rate of pay once i reach 100%?
How much you are going to make depends on the location... It's not the same across the board.
 #867160  by sam11

hey all, I got an invitation to a hiring session this wednesday for bnsf at the los angeles location, its for the conductor trainee position.. wondering if anyone has any last minute advice on what to expect on the test/interview, what to wear, what to bring ect ect. any info will be greatly appreciated. thanks
 #867329  by jz441

sam11 wrote:hey all, I got an invitation to a hiring session this wednesday for bnsf at the los angeles location, its for the conductor trainee position.. wondering if anyone has any last minute advice on what to expect on the test/interview, what to wear, what to bring ect ect. any info will be greatly appreciated. thanks
Hello Sam,

I work out of Los Angeles... Dress nice, at least slacks and dress shirt. You will take series of tests. Basic math, word problems, percentages... etc, and the personality profile test. If you pass the test, you will be invited to an interview at a later day. That class was planned for the end of November, but now they will have to push it back.
If you have any questions feel free to ask me... Good luck! :wink:
 #962831  by FutureBNSFEngineer

How long Does it Take for You to recieve a Comformation email from a human Resourse Person On If you have been selected for Screening and Interview for a Conductor Possition
 #963683  by cmar

How long did it took some of you in receiving that final Email from BNSF after completing and passing all pre- employment test and background checks?
 #963822  by johnnbea

It's going to depend on the location. But I know with most of my applications to BNSF, I knew something on all of them within a month at the most. The one that actually hired me, invited me to a hiring session about a week after applying. So just keep your eyes open, and remember, in most cases with BNSF, you will get an email even if you are NOT selected to continue in the process! So, no news really is good news!
 #964012  by cmar

johnnbea wrote:It's going to depend on the location. But I know with most of my applications to BNSF, I knew something on all of them within a month at the most. The one that actually hired me, invited me to a hiring session about a week after applying. So just keep your eyes open, and remember, in most cases with BNSF, you will get an email even if you are NOT selected to continue in the process! So, no news really is good news!
location is Northwest, WA Pasco is where i applyed for signalmen apprentice, Its been two weeks since i received that "meets Medical Standards" Email,that was my last contact but anyways thank you for your response "no news is good news"
this waiting is driving me Crasie and not having a job doesnt help very much with the waiting. Thanx again for your input!
 #964274  by johnnbea

Hey cmar
I'm sorry, I misunderstood your question. I took it to read applications not background and prehire stuff. I am in the same boat as you now, and it is driving me insane. But, when I talked to BNSF, the general thing seems to be that they will contact you once they have a definitive start date! I know, it doesn't help, same as me, but at least it's something! I am SOOOO ready to get going!
 #964363  by wmrjw82

After finishing the strength test, drug test, hearing & eyesight test over the course of the last month...I got an email last week stating that I have been cleared medically. Nothing since then. At the orientation for Lincoln, NE they said they were having 4 training classes starting in October. What's next in the process and how do I know which one i'm in?
 #977359  by nakaawai

Here's how my conductor hiring process went:

18 Aug- Invited to hiring session
23 Aug- Conditional offer extended
30 Aug- Physical completed
5 Sep- Background investigation cleared
6 Sep- Strength Test completed
14 Sep- Cleared medically for hire
6 Oct- Final Offer extended

My start date is tentatively for the 31 Oct in the Seattle Yard. I have experienced a few hiccups with the background investigation that should have only been a quick fix but it was cleared up by the investigating company and may have (or may not) added a week or two to the final descision. All in all it worked out and will be a conductor in training starting on the 31st.