Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Derails and tanker explodes over Tehachpi

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#774435  by Gilbert B Norman

Off topic, yet "on-topic"; what, if anything, would have Positive Train Control as mandated under RSIA '08, done to avoid this incident?

I would like to be mistaken on this point as it appears that FRA means business regarding implementation of PTC - especially with enacted legislation "in their corner'. But somehow, and I don't wish to be found guilty of minimizing serious HAZMAT incidents, I think that the investigation will establish this is one more Rockford or Weyauwega.
 #774643  by GWoodle

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Off topic, yet "on-topic"; what, if anything, would have Positive Train Control as mandated under RSIA '08, done to avoid this incident?

I would like to be mistaken on this point as it appears that FRA means business regarding implementation of PTC - especially with enacted legislation "in their corner'. But somehow, and I don't wish to be found guilty of minimizing serious HAZMAT incidents, I think that the investigation will establish this is one more Rockford or Weyauwega.

As I understand it, PTC would be used to keep 2 trains from hitting each other. An improved braking/train control system may help keep the cars on the rails? Neither system would be good to detect any problems with the track or ROW? Enough questions to wait until the investigation is complete.
 #774646  by Gilbert B Norman

GWoodle wrote:Enough questions to wait until the investigation is complete.
Immediate thought quite correct, Mr. Woodle. I like to think that NTSB is one of these agencies of the "just the facts ma'am' varietal, and is not going to prepare a report that will incorporate some kind of 'agenda' for PTC.
 #775118  by GWoodle

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
GWoodle wrote:Enough questions to wait until the investigation is complete.
Immediate thought quite correct, Mr. Woodle. I like to think that NTSB is one of these agencies of the "just the facts ma'am' varietal, and is not going to prepare a report that will incorporate some kind of 'agenda' for PTC.
The best news may be that the line has reopened.
 #775327  by Gilbert B Norman

acela 2036 wrote:I wonder if UP did any detours on the coast seeing that line was shut down for 48 hours
LA Times coverage of the incident reports that just that was done. I have no knowledge to what extent UP was obligated to offer that reroute/detour (even if synonymous to a layman, there is a technical difference between those terms) to the BNSF; it may have been 'sorry Charlie' for their Central Valley customers.

But as Mr. Woodle reports, the line is again open.