• BNSF covered hoppers

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Teutobergerwald

Saw the W/B afternoon NYA train passing Richmond Hill team yard this afternoon around 3:30. Behind the power (two GP38-2's) were 3-4 BNSF covered hoppers, followed by around 30 or so C&D gondolas. This was the third time lately that I've seen this type of BNSF covered hoppers in the consist of an NYA train, and always right behind the power on the afternoon westbound. What did they carry, and for what customer? Where is that customer located? Thanks.
  by RRJS3

Empties from Amco Plastics in Farmingdale, most likely.
  by Ðauntless

There coming in NYNJ and going to Hicksville. I imagine it might be Bentonite again for landful capping (W. Babylon?).
  by kamerad47

Where do they unload them & how ??????
  by truck1536

kamerad47 wrote:Where do they unload them & how ??????
I was in the Brookhaven Rail yard last week and they were unloading a BN bentonite car into an Anchor dry bulk trailer. It is unloaded from the bottom of the railcar onto a tray that feeds an auger in to the top of the trailer.
  by jayrmli

Correct...they're going to BRT. I think they may be taking bentonite as well in Hicksville.
  by NYCS

Photo here:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5370_n.jpg

Anyone know where the bentonite is coming from and, more importantly, what Long Island uses it for? I've heard for "landfill purposes", but I haven't been able to verify. Thanks!
  by jayrmli

It is used for capping the landfills.