Railroad Forums 

• BNSF action near Willow Springs, IL

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#516318  by PomonaMo

Our house is right along the BNSF track between Willow Springs and West Plains. Normally we see 20-30 trains a day but it has been eerily quiet last night and all day today.

I'm wondering if and where the tracks are under water due to the wide-spread flooding in the Ozarks.

Also....

Can anyone tell me what in the world those tent-like things BNSF is hauling past might be?
 #516352  by doepack

PomonaMo wrote:Our house is right along the BNSF track between Willow Springs and West Plains. Normally we see 20-30 trains a day but it has been eerily quiet last night and all day today.

I'm wondering if and where the tracks are under water due to the wide-spread flooding in the Ozarks
Not being too familiar with the area, that would be my guess. For instance, I live next to a very active UP mainline in suburban Chicago, and whenever there's an accident, or weather-related issue temporarily taking out a track or a bridge somewhere "down yonder", it usually results in traffic being scaled back for a few days. Have faith, the trains will return...
 #516521  by PomonaMo

3:41 PM CDT, we just saw our first train in almost 36 hours. 3 pumpkins pulling carloads of gravel - we're thinking it is road bed gravel to repair a washout somewhere south of us - Hardy, Arkansas, maybe.

These cars had what looked like solar panels on their sides. Are some of these cars self-unloaders, powered by solar electricity???

As you might tell, we are very new to this train watching stuff. Being so close to the track we had two choices - hate 'em and fret everytime one went past or learn to love 'em and enjoy the experience. They don't even wake us up in the morning now.

#516595  by bnsfym

yes there is a lot of track damage in the area of missouri. the tracks along the river from cape girardeau mo to st louis are shut down with mudslides and the river flooding.
 #516620  by PomonaMo

We just heard on the evening news that a huge sink hole, in excess of 100' deep developed under a section of track at Mansfield and that flooding has washed out track near Thayer, Missouri.

This evening, a second maintenance train loaded with gravel passed by. It is so strange as we are used to seeing three to four trains every hour during much of the day.