Railroad Forums 

• BMWE wants to help?

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#116671  by soolinexec

Hey folks:

A colleague of mine wrote to me recently about your possible new endeavor with the BMWE. Is this true? Would someone like to voice their concerns, complaints, gripes, etc. about the issue?

Word of advice, get educated about the subject. Come out of the dark ages. Do not believe what you are hearing about the promises they can provide you with a better lifestyle you've always dreamed of. Bear in mind what you have now will disappear. It's ground zero if you decide to contract folks, you start from scratch. This means Salary, benefits, seniority, vacation, work locations etc. It's not freeze what you have now, and tack on dessert. It's all re-negotiated from the very start.

From what I see, you have a very good railroad out there which is very fair and up front. If your hearing alot of rumors, consider the sources. People hear what they want to hear. Maybe it's time you speak up and ask for what you want instead of sitting back and taking the"wait and see" attitude and letting an outside party decide what they think is best for you.

Ever hear of the story of shepp in wolves clothing?

Speak up!! Put them here if you fear repraisal. Who knows, they me get read and acted upon. My thoughts, leave the BMWE out of your picture. Voice your concerns at meeting, safety commitees, etc. Do you really think things could be alot better with BMWE on your side? I don't think so. I am confident your management element are doing their upmost to make a worthwhile railroad for the long term investment.

Management, make communications to your people a top priority! Embrace your people, keep them informed, let them know whats going on. It's cheap and pays great. Praise them in public for a job well done. Most often it's a sense of belonging and accomplishment, not the paycheck.

From what I am told, the wages are very decent out your way for the work forces. If you can't see that, ask around. I am sure you know. Greed can take on a role all on it's own.

Ask those who wish to represent you, do I get to keep what I now have and get my higher expectations, and can I get all that in writing????

#125564  by northgandydancer

I can only add on more thing to that well written list of things to do. Management: Don't publicly blame the employees for putting the BAR onto the skids, they made no decisions as to the spending and bad investments (and outward stealing) of company assets. Workers: BAR and CDAC are dead issues, bury them and move on!!
 #128211  by soolinexec

Hey, how did your elections make out. Did anyone push for the old way of doing things and vote them in?

Amazing isn't it when you look at someone and all they have on their minds is job security & money, money, money while looking for ways to secure that foundation thinking. They may be acting like tuff guys on the outside, but in reality, they are battling fear on the inside.

When businesses fail and your standing there scratching your heads trying to figure out who to point fingers at and whine, don't forget to look at your other 3 fingers and see where they are pointing. Some day Americans wil stop and notice that their white picket fences are getting just a bit to high and will not be able to see outside their happy little space. Or so they think.
 #146673  by soolinexec

I see on the homepage of Railway Age magazine the Signal Maintainers voted in the BMWE. Is that old school thinking or what? No balls to go without, no guts to make it without them?

Old school thinking boys. Nothing to fear but fear itself.
Most of the time when people do this is so they can reinforce there old habits and look for allies to help support thier creature of habit mentality.

Some day the good ole boy American way will have to face facts that it is the hungry businesses that are focused for better ways of doing things that make it, not the old bring in the union so I can have protection and do things the way I used to.

You have no guts in my book guys. Go back to school.
Big time old school decision here.

The balls to go union? I don't think so, more like insecure thinking.

#151207  by mick

Yeah, those guys got no ball
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

#151496  by Realityrail

Wow Mick, sounds like you are a real union supporter. I hope you pay good dues for the union fat cats to fly furst class (and drive their Caddy's).

Oh, and let's not forget the kick backs to those good caring union officers from the personal injury attornies--remeber that the top UTU officials of a couple years ago are serving time in a Federal pen for that.

Now let's get serious, and address your points:
1) Why would they want stupid things like Job Protection, Guarantees, or Seniority Rights?

Ah job protection, like paying people to do nothing--welfare or communisim?

2)Why would they want to ensure that the Company does not let the railroad go under

And how does a union prevent a company from going under? I would love to see your answer!

3) and they are left with no pension

Ever hear of Railroad Retirement? That is a government plan that the company and the employees contribute to, but the company does not control it---so there is nothing to loose!

4) no health insurance, no seniority rights if another railroad comes in and takes over?

This is called the 21st century!

5) After all, the Company will not let their hard work go to waste after 20 or 30 years, and just leave them with nothing, would they?

Look at MM&A. Almost all former B&A employees were hired.

6) No, Companies don't do things like that! If they make a mistake on the job and get hurt, they deserve to get fired without a hearing, right?

And how many people has MM&A fired for that? I'll answer that one for you-NONE!

Finally, since only the three signal men voted to join the union, I am waiting to see the BMWE invest their time and efforts for only three dues paying members. Time will tell.

#152732  by mick

Well,
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

#153136  by Realityrail

Mick

It sounds like you don't work for MM&A.....so until you do, you will never know the climate and atmosphere, which better than you coulf imagine!