Railroad Forums 

• Blueprints/charts of four-track main through Rochester

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1233343  by ctclark1

In some searches here I've seen it come up that charts or blueprints showing the old 4-tracked NYC main are (understandably) hard to come by, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask here as a few nights of searching google and known NYC historical sites have come up empty still...
I'm looking for track layouts when the main was still 4 tracks. I know it used the 2-1-3-4 numbering but I'm mostly looking for the control points and extra siding locations back in the days when all 4 tracks existed, primarily through what is now the Rochester sub (Syracuse to Buffalo). As of now the oldest I can come up with was a track chart from the PC era after 3/4 had already been pulled up, so it doesn't show the configuration of 1/3 and 3/4 crossovers within the CPs or what extra sidings may have existed that weren't simply converted from tracks 3 or 4 as most of the controlled sidings nowadays appear to be (case in point - based on spacing of the Chili Jct CS (380-382) it was clearly converted from Trk3 when 3/4 were pulled).

If anyone has ideas that'd be awesome! Thanks!
 #1234904  by Otto Vondrak

ctclark1 wrote:I'm looking for track layouts when the main was still 4 tracks. I know it used the 2-1-3-4 numbering but I'm mostly looking for the control points and extra siding locations back in the days when all 4 tracks existed, primarily through what is now the Rochester sub (Syracuse to Buffalo). As of now the oldest I can come up with was a track chart from the PC era after 3/4 had already been pulled up, so it doesn't show the configuration of 1/3 and 3/4 crossovers within the CPs or what extra sidings may have existed that weren't simply converted from tracks 3 or 4 as most of the controlled sidings nowadays appear to be (case in point - based on spacing of the Chili Jct CS (380-382) it was clearly converted from Trk3 when 3/4 were pulled).

If anyone has ideas that'd be awesome! Thanks!
Here you go:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 9146902132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plus, if you're located in Rochester, pay a visit to the Rundel Memorial Library, visit the Local History room, and page through some of the city plat maps on file.

-otto-
 #1235228  by Otto Vondrak

Clif wrote:Otto do you have track charts same time period for Syracuse?
I have no track charts at all. The link I provided came from the Rochester Model Railroad Club, so I assume the prints were provided by one of their members.

Good luck in your search!

-otto-
 #1235320  by lvrr325

Prints must exist, I picked up a few bits and pieces from a guy in Cleveland that included some Syracuse-area stuff.

One thing with railroad records is in addition to val maps, every time they made some kind of change on the property, a record was made with multiple copies that virtually always included a scale diagram if not a copy out of the val maps for the area in question. And that's just the property section, you also had engineering and structural that had their own records.

Now those records usually had copies for the division headquarters and the system headquarters, at the very least. So it boils down more or less to who either broke in or raided the dumpster when Conrail (or Penn Central) pitched them out. Although I recall one story that to keep people from raiding the dumpster PC used a firehose to soak the dumpster contents in a few instances.