Railroad Forums 

• Bluebird restoration??

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#113924  by NellsChoo

Our fearless leader has posted on the main page about the Thomaston CT rail museum restoring a B&M Bluebird!! I don't know about you folks, but I think that would be ultra nifty to see! Especially in first generation Bluebird paint!

JD

#114155  by MEC407

Heck yeah! :-D
 #116173  by H.F.Malone

Railroad Museum of New England was awarded the 2005 H. Albert Webb Memorial Preservation Grant (see the Mass Bay RRE press release in the News Section of this site).

Work is expected to start in the second half of this year, and those of you out there who might be interested in getting up close and personal with a real 120-ton locomotive are invited to come to Thomaston and get involved. Distance issues? We have active volunteers from New Hampshire, Mass., New Jersey, New York, as well as Connecticut. You might find this stuff (bringing old locos back from the dead) as interesting and compelling as standing trackside and watching/photographing trains. Oh, and when it's done, cab rides are always available! Don't think that you have enough "experience" to get involved? Don't worry, we'll teach you.

Nells, when will we see you and your "significant other"?

#116179  by MEC407

I'd love to be involved with that. Unfortunately I'm up in Maine, which does present a real distance issue. :(
 #116181  by H.F.Malone

Well, we do take checks!! :-)) In another year or so, we'll have overnight facilities for those coming from a distance-- a bunk car and caboose. And, RMNE folk have been known to GO to Maine to help WW&F build track.

The Webb grant will cover a LOT of the job, but not all of it.

#116582  by NellsChoo

Well, Todd and I tried to visit the CT museums, but they were all closed!! Hopefully this year we can get down there when things are OPEN! :wink:

Will this engine be in the actual blue, black and white scheme?