Railroad Forums 

• Blue Line Work Accelerated

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1542352  by Jeff Smith

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... ork--60421
The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) on May 18 will close the Blue Line subway route to begin accelerated track and infrastructure work between the Bowdoin and Airport stations in Boston.

The 14-day project will include track replacement to address a speed restriction between the Airport and Maverick stations.
 #1542363  by Adams_Umass_Boston

I remember when the trains use to fly through the tunnel between Airport and State. So this should be a big improvement. But as WFH rider about to have to go back to work, I worry that this might make crowding on the shuttle buses.
Last edited by Adams_Umass_Boston on Mon May 11, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1542395  by chrisf

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:57 amBut as WFH rider about to have to go back to work, I worry that this make crowding on the shuttle buses.
It's definitely starting to look like MBTA made this decision about a month too late.
 #1543063  by BandA

This is slightly confusing; So I assume normal pandemic service between Wonderland & Wood Island.
 #1543101  by Maverickstation1

At Maverick this morning it was organized, and orderly. The shuttle busses are the larger Yankee Tour busses, so there was plenty of room to stay apart.
Our bus went to Aquarium and Govt Center only, and got Govt Center faster than the train, thanks to the lack of regular traffic.

Ken
 #1597255  by Adams_Umass_Boston

The MBTA needs another week of work and will keep Blue Line services suspended from Airport to Bowdoin

Shuttle buses replace Blue Line service between Airport and Bowdoin through May 13 due to complete additional harbor tunnel work. Bowdoin station will not be serviced by shuttle buses, please use Government Center instead.

Free bus shuttles will replace Blue Line service between Airport and Bowdoin all day and every day between April 25 and May 13 to accommodate harbor tunnel repair work. Shuttle buses will operate in a one-way inbound loop through the downtown area. Shuttle buses will not stop at Bowdoin with Bowdoin riders instead asked to board and exit shuttles at Government Center Station. The shuttle bus stop at State station is drop-off only. Express bus shuttles will not stop at Maverick station.

Even though the ferry is inconvenient to me, I have been going out of my way to take it as its a very nice ride in.
 #1597577  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Even more delays
"Blue Line Update: Shuttle buses will continue to replace train service between Airport & Government Center through Tuesday, May 17. Special ferry service continues between Lewis Mall (near Maverick) and Long Wharf North (near Aquarium). More: http://mbta.com/harbortunnel "

https://www.universalhub.com/2022/mbta- ... r-expected
 #1597847  by STrRedWolf

Hearing from my Bostonian friend who works as a captain/crew for the ferry service MBTA contracts with and is/was doing the shuttle: Folks are loving the ferry more and there seems to be more traffic from folks who wouldn't ride the Blue Line....

Late update: The ferry shuttle is still running. There's enough demand to keep running it.
 #1597851  by scratchyX1

Is the boat faster than the train? Or less crowded?
Last edited by CRail on Thu May 19, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Do not use the "Quote" button as a "Reply" button.
 #1597854  by HenryAlan

Somehow my first attempt to reply went as a private message! For the benefit of others:

It's probably not faster, but it is somewhat easier, especially if you are dealing with a stroller, wheel chair, bike, etc. I've used it a few times to save 12 miles off the round trip bike ride to East Boston from Roslindale. I have never once tried to take my bike on the Blue Line, and probably still won't.
Last edited by CRail on Thu May 19, 2022 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Do not use the "Quote" button as a "Reply" button.
 #1597875  by Adams_Umass_Boston

I rode it most of the shut down - here is what I saw.
It was faster then waiting for the shuttle bus.
It depended on that time of day- 8 am was standing room only, 10 am and it was light - on average 20 people.

Really the ferry is only convenient to those who live or work on either end, and those who like to bike to work.

My daily commute from Wood Island - Hynes is about 35-40 min. But with the Ferry it was 1-1 1/2 hours. This factors in all the walking which I enjoy.

In the future will anyone really get off at Maverick and take the ferry to across the harbor, when they could have a one seat ride? Probably not many. However its a great option for all the condos they recently built down on the water front, and for the bicycle community. I support extending it.

Today was the last day for Ferry service and there is a bill to continue it if funding is found - extending service until December - https://twitter.com/adrianmadaro/status ... fEWNttU44w

Idea of the crowds
https://twitter.com/elplanetaboston/sta ... GimL_fIuJw

Back to the Blue line - there are some slowdowns right out of Airport but the rest of the route seemed average.