Railroad Forums 

• Blue Comet whistles

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#166413  by Steam man

Still looking for information on the whistles used on the CNJ G-3s/P-47 class engines assigned to the Blue Comet service. I know it's probably beyond reason to think any of these whistle survived,but is there any info available on them? The hot deal would be some measurements of the bell length and chime chamber lengths.They were said to be simular to the Reading Company G class engine whistles, but an octave lower and sounded some where in between a pipe organ and a steam boat. Were they a "stock catalog" whistle such as a long bell Hancock for example? We have a bowl and valve assembly for a 6" diameter whistle wih no bell and would like to build a bell that would replicate the sound of the ones used on the Blue Comet engines. Any ideas here? Come on then, wouldn't you like to hear the "voice" of the 831? Image

#166916  by Uzi-Cat

Here is a recording of an 800 series CNJ pacific. That is probably as close as you are going to get. Sounds really good to me.

http://www.dieselairhorns.com/sounds/CNJ%20whistle.mp3

Scott

#167002  by Steam man

Scott,
Thanks for the effort, but I've heard that whistle before and am pretty sure it's a "standard" 3 chime. The Blue Comet engines had a much deeper toned whistle than the CNJ 3 chime, someone had suggested it could have been a long bell Star 6 chime, but no one seems to have a positive answer. Thanks again.
 #1420102  by dreeves32

I have read with interest the subject of what did the Blue Comet steam loco whistle sound like. I rode behind many of those speedy 4-6-2 Pacifics and enjoyed their unique whistle tone. Do you really want to hear how it sounded? The Santa Fe Northern 4-8-4 Baldwin has the same pitched whistle. The 3751 Santa Fe has the exact same whistle. I believe it is 5 chime. It is not a deep steamboat type like the Norfolk and Western 611. Pull up a pacing scene of the 3751 Santa Fe galloping at 75 mph in California and listen carefully and perhaps you may see the image of the ghost of the Blue Comet streaking through the south Jersey pines. Although the Blue Comet was a Pacific type engine, it was also built by Baldwin in 1928 approximately the same year, hence the same kind of whistle. The Comet engines were designated P-47, meaning they developed 47,000 lbs of tractive effort, had 79" drivers, were more powerful than the PRR k-4s and could out run them. When I attended college in Jersey City I took the Pt Pleasant express daily from the JC Terminal to Long Branch. We left JC at 3:52pm. 1st stop E'Port. 2nd stop Red Bank. 3rd stop Long Branch.Time 4:52pm, one hour flat. If you don't believe this check a 1951 CRR of NJ North Jersey Coast Schedule. After the stop in Long Branch the train made all remaining station stops all the way to Bay Head.The Jersey Central did not make money carrying passengers, however, it gave excellent, safe service. D.Reeves
 #1420281  by dreeves32

After again listening to the Blue Comet whistle on 3751 Santa Fe, I must correct myself. I originally thought the whistle was a five chime freight whistle, but I am now convinced it is the six (6) chime passenger whistle. The five chime tone is too high to be the whistle that I heard many years ago as a young man traveling on trains out of Jersey City hauled by the 800 series Pacific class locomotives. How I miss those handsome engines. Don Reeves
 #1421108  by The Blue Comet

A little off topic,
Am interested in your fascination with the Blue Comet. My Great Uncle, Bish Smith was one of the Engineers on this remarkable locomotive. I too am 65 and vaguely remember him as a very young boy when he lived the remainder of his life with my Grandmother. My Dad is still alive, grew up in Dunellen NJ and recalls riding on the Blue Comet. We recently attended a historical end to in Chadsworth where a mile marker post was placed where the Comet derailed in a bad rain storm. Dad had the opportunity to share in a Lionel Advertisment where Mr Cohen (?) Head of Lionel was handing a Blue Comet Engine to my Uncle who's then handing it to my Dad and the point of the advertisement was "railroading is for all ages". That Standard gauge model train is still in the family. I too am very interested in the Blue Comet and would like to connect with any Sea Shore Line enthusiasts. Thank You
Bob Cramer