Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#629877  by FL9AC

I don't think anyone knows why four units are needed to replace the two ALCo switchers on such a short rail line, but both switchers are going to be preserved by a small organization...met a few of the members a few days ago, but for the life of me I can't remember the group's name. They are currently trying to raise the funds needed to transport the two ALCo's though.
 #629878  by Erie-Lackawanna

Terrapin Station wrote:Huh? As I clearly stated, all that was previously stated was that they *may* not be Metro-North units, which is hardly a definitive statement. So once again I ask where it was previously, definitively stated (such that the person should have known better), that they were not Metro-North units?
I should keep out of these things, but I just can't help myself this time.

Was the statement absolute? No. Definitive? Close, but in the end, no. However, given the context, the other information conveyed in the same quote (which IS independently verifiable), and the author of said quote, there's no reason to believe the statement to be anything but true. We're not scientists, here, and we don't normally state everything with an absolute, black-or-white clarity. That doesn't mean it isn't true. If you need that level of certainty that what you're reading is true, you should stop visiting this forum. You're picking nits, in what appears to be an effort to pick a fight. Back off, admit you were wrong (or don't - it really doesn't matter), and move on.

Finally, as events have shown, the statement has been proven to be true.

Jim
 #629992  by Terrapin Station

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:Huh? As I clearly stated, all that was previously stated was that they *may* not be Metro-North units, which is hardly a definitive statement. So once again I ask where it was previously, definitively stated (such that the person should have known better), that they were not Metro-North units?
I should keep out of these things, but I just can't help myself this time.

Was the statement absolute? No. Definitive? Close, but in the end, no. However, given the context, the other information conveyed in the same quote (which IS independently verifiable), and the author of said quote, there's no reason to believe the statement to be anything but true. We're not scientists, here, and we don't normally state everything with an absolute, black-or-white clarity. That doesn't mean it isn't true. If you need that level of certainty that what you're reading is true, you should stop visiting this forum. You're picking nits, in what appears to be an effort to pick a fight. Back off, admit you were wrong (or don't - it really doesn't matter), and move on.

Finally, as events have shown, the statement has been proven to be true.

Jim
Excuse me????

Someone posted something that was a "word has it". That's not a definitive statement. If the person felt it was fact, he would have/could have used different language.

So then people understandably continued to speculate about what was going on.

A few posts later, someone else comes along and in bold and underlined text, states that the actual answer was already given. That was not true. And that is what I was pointing out. You seem to have missed that.

If that person wanted to bold and underline something and effectively reprimand others for missing some critical and obvious factual piece of information, he should have made damn well sure that said information HAD BEEN POSTED earlier as definitive and factual. But he did not, since it was not. It was posted only as a "word has it".

The fact that the information turned out to be true is irrelevant. I'm not refuting the information. I was refuting the second poster's claims that others missed something that they shouldn't have missed.
 #629999  by FL9AC

COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY FACTUAL INFORMATION SAYS the 776 is not a Metro-North unit at all, but rather one of the new units for the Staten Island Railroad. Unit is labeled for Metro-North but that is a mistake. As of now Metro-North hasn't purchased the BL20G unit. This also means that the 6 GP35R's, the GP8, the GP9, and the NYCTA 064 will be with us for a while longer .
How's that for ya Terrapin? Will that let you sleep better at night? :wink:
 #630079  by Erie-Lackawanna

OK, I'm glad we got that all straight.

Next topic - the thread title: It's the MTA Staten Island Railway. The only organization in the United States that has their name misspelled as two words is the Long Island Rail Road. ;-)

Now - since this is not a Metro-North topic, can it be moved to the MTA NYC Subway forum, or locked?

Jim
 #630486  by DutchRailnut

Happy now ?? I felt it was Metro North material since locomotives originaly were reported to be MNCR.
Staten Island railroad is not a subway so it is pretty much inplace here as a MTA railroad under FRA rules.
 #630971  by DutchRailnut

Their being railroaded to container terminal on Staten Island and then trucked, the two Alco's will be trucked out at same time I believe they are bought by a rail preservation group in Maine or New Hampshire.
 #633198  by Terrapin Station

FL9AC wrote:
COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY FACTUAL INFORMATION SAYS the 776 is not a Metro-North unit at all, but rather one of the new units for the Staten Island Railroad. Unit is labeled for Metro-North but that is a mistake. As of now Metro-North hasn't purchased the BL20G unit. This also means that the 6 GP35R's, the GP8, the GP9, and the NYCTA 064 will be with us for a while longer .
How's that for ya Terrapin? Will that let you sleep better at night? :wink:
No, the truth has long since been established. I was referring back to earlier.
 #633202  by Terrapin Station

DutchRailnut wrote:Happy now ?? ... Staten Island railroad is not a subway so it is pretty much inplace here as a MTA railroad under FRA rules.
False. Staten Island Railway is listed as being part of MTA New York City Transit, and MTA NYCT runs the subways. Therefore it makes perfect sense to discuss it in the MTA NYC Subway forum, if it weren't for the fact that this started as, and still is, a Metro-North thread.

http://mta.info/nyct/sir/index.html
 #633802  by L'mont

Terrapin Station wrote: False. Staten Island Railway is listed as being part of MTA New York City Transit, and MTA NYCT runs the subways. Therefore it makes perfect sense to discuss it in the MTA NYC Subway forum, if it weren't for the fact that this started as, and still is, a Metro-North thread.

http://mta.info/nyct/sir/index.html
Well, the side of the SIRR cars says, "Staten Island Railway" and a subway car says, "New York City Transit". I think we're splitting hairs. The railroad guys says, according to the FRA, it's an MTA run railroad. It's a grey area, whatever.
 #641207  by deandremouse

Let me get this straight 14 crappy BL20GHs are going to replace strong top heavy aging usefull EMD MP15ACs in the coming year? Brookvile=CRAP
( joking! Brookvilles way better than any other loco company right now other than GE an EMD.) :-)
Last edited by deandremouse on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #641269  by FL9AC

Let me get this straight 14 crappy BL20GHs are going to replace strong top heavy aging usefull EMD MP15ACs in the coming year? Brookvile=CRAP
AGING...you pretty much summed up why they are getting replaced. Parts for the older EMD blocks are getting harder and harder to come by and between the EPA's new emissions requirements and the inefficiency of the 2-stroke engines, I'd say there are plenty of reasons to go with a more efficient, reliable, and newer locomotive.

Also, what do you know personally about the Brookville BL20GH's...They are very nicely designed units that are proving more and more reliable every day. There are occasional problems with them but that is to be expected with a brand new unit. Until you have data proving your theory about Brookville, lets not talk sh*t about equipment you probably don't know anything about first hand.