Railroad Forums 

• Bird In Hand

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#24938  by jsx

I'll be vacationing this summer in Bird In Hand down in Lancaster County. I know there's a line that runs through there. Does anybody know what line this is and what kind of activity there is on it? Thanks a lot

Jim

#24972  by PRRGuy

Bird-In-Hand is Amtrak's main from Chicago to New York, so you're pretty much guaranteed to see Amtrak action, other then that I'm not too familiar with the area but I'm guessing NS may have some freight service in the area.

#25003  by CarterB

Bird in Hand is actually on the old PRR Main Line from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh. Amtrak operates the Three Rivers and the Pennsylvanian over this route. Of interest to you also may be the steam tourist line the Strasburg RR http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/ and the RR museum of PA http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/ which are right down the road from Bird in Hand.

#25277  by AEM7Fan

There is a line that runs through that area which is the Amtrak Keystone Service Line. There are quite a few Keystones which run through and the Pennsylvanian and Three Rivers. If you're looking for freights, you'll be very lucky to even find a local on that line. My suggestions if you're looking for freights would be either to go down to Columbia where Norfolk Southern has their Port Road Branch, or go out to Reading or Hershey where you can see some Norfolk Southern trains. Or, take a nice long road trip out to Altoona to see the Horseshoe Curve! :wink: Good luck on your vacation! :)

#25309  by AEM7Fan

joshuahouse wrote:Wouldn't you have to go to the next station beyond altoona to see the Horseshoe Curve?
I dont think so, the next station after Altoona is Johnstown.

#25501  by chuchubob

joshuahouse wrote:Wouldn't you have to go to the next station beyond altoona to see the Horseshoe Curve?
Yes, if you want to see it from the train and you're coming from east of Altoona.

With the Amtrak timetable that's been in effect for at least a year, this can be done on Sundays. The eastbound Pennsylvanian is later on Sunday than the other days, and one could ride westbound around the curve to Johnstown, then catch the eastbound and ride around the curve again.

I tried this from Philly several months ago. My westbound Pennsylvanian was nearly an hour late arriving in Altoona, so I chickened out and got off there. I visited the museum.

When I got on the eastbound, I asked the conductress where her train met the westbound; she said a couple miles east of Johnstown. I would have been scrood if I hadn't detrained at Altoona.

#25676  by Urban D Kaye

Bob -
If you have a Mon, Wed, or Fri free you might wanna drive up to the PRL's line between Ephrata and Sinking Spring. Some ex-Providence and Worcester Uboats might make good photos.

#26735  by jsx

Thanks a lot everyone! I'll actually be visiting the Altoona area during the same trip. I'm staying at a great place called the Tunnel Inn. www.thetunnelinn.com Its a B&B right on the main line just west of Horseshoe curve I believe. Its got a great Railroad themed tavern right next door as well. Definitely a good spot. In Bird In Hand I'm staying at the Greystone Manor which overlooks the line we've been discussing. Thanks again for the info.

Jim