Railroad Forums 

• Billerica Shops Lexington-Bedford Branch Lead

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1038032  by TPR37777

I happened to be in Billerica yesterday and I drove through Iron Horse Park and I was surprised at how many employees Pan Am has there (judging by all of the cars in the lot). I was also impressed by what appeared to be a thriving lumber operation on the west side of the yard behind the old shops, although I couldn't see too much from the main road. My question for those of you in the know is are most of those employees assigned to MOW, or something else? Also are they using the Lexington-Bedford branch to access that lumber operation, or are they coming off of the Lowell line and through the trans-load facility? Oh how I would have like to have been there 80 years ago!
 #1038068  by newpylong

Regarding the Billerica Running Track or more affectionately called the B&B (Billerica and Bedford) - it is in service and LA-whatever pulls in off the NH Division and heads down it. It is easier to switch the shop from that side. Then they can shove out to the main through the Shop interlocking and head back North, or pull out and head south.

The lumber place is a huge customer, and is moving to Ayer on the Greenville branch. They are expanding the old Poly One facility up there with multiple tracks. There is another customer coming into Billerica in their place though I heard though.

Employees who work there are operations, dispatching, police, stores, executive, etc. There can also be a training class there at any one time.